Wheezing/laboured breathing

Apld

Songster
6 Years
Oct 14, 2017
Brisbane
Hi all,

All have a chicken with strange breathing noises any suggestions would be appreciated.

Still trying to work out how to upload a video.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-4-zoaPURDtcHv6Q9Ytccocu_LNTC6KI

Feeding her water and coconut oil -noises are less but still there.

Crop feels like putty/plasticine. I think I might have felt a piece of straw but not sure.

She’s marking a very strange noise.

Any suggestions, she’s very unhappy :(

Last edited:
She has stridor, a sound made during inspiration and expiration when there is something partially blocking the airway or trachea, such as mucus, a piece of food, or swollen tissue.

I would massage the crop, encourage to drink water, give no whole grains, and in the early morning, check the crop to feel if it is still full and doughy. You may be dealing with an impacted crop. If the crop is still the same in the morning, I would withdraw all food for the day, but give plenty of water with electrolytes. The next day if better, you can offer mushy thin chick feed mixed with water. A bit of yogurt is good also.

Azygous has a new good thread about how to tell if your chicken has a crop problem. TwoCrows also has a thread on how to deal with crop problems.

She has stridor, a sound made during inspiration and expiration when there is something partially blocking the airway or trachea, such as mucus, a piece of food, or swollen tissue.

I would massage the crop, encourage to drink water, give no whole grains, and in the early morning, check the crop to feel if it is still full and doughy. You may be dealing with an impacted crop. If the crop is still the same in the morning, I would withdraw all food for the day, but give plenty of water with electrolytes. The next day if better, you can offer mushy thin chick feed mixed with water. A bit of yogurt is good also.

Azygous has a new good thread about how to tell if your chicken has a crop problem. TwoCrows also has a thread on how to deal with crop problems.

Thank you so much, I’m really worried for her - she is miserable and a bit hot.

We did feed her some wet mushy feed and yoghurt tonight, I will remove food and keep massaging her crop in the morning.

I’ll re-read those two articles in the morning to familiarise myself with them.

This morning her crop is empty but she is still pretty miserable, and definitely smalls funny. Less loud noises, more of a wheeze.

Then she may have a respiratory infection, such as mycoplasma (MG,) coryza, or ILT. Make sure that she is ddrinking plenty of water, keep the coop dry and provide fresh air and ventilation. If you would like to medicate with antibiotics, a vet probably would need to prescribe them. Tylosin, oxytetracycline, sulfa antibiotics, or tiamulin are ones that are used worldwide for respiratory disease.

Then she may have a respiratory infection, such as mycoplasma (MG,) coryza, or ILT. Make sure that she is ddrinking plenty of water, keep the coop dry and provide fresh air and ventilation. If you would like to medicate with antibiotics, a vet probably would need to prescribe them. Tylosin, oxytetracycline, sulfa antibiotics, or tiamulin are ones that are used worldwide for respiratory disease.
It’s Easter public holidays here, so finding anything much will be difficult :(
She seems hungry, should I let her eat? Mushy food so at least there is some fluid in that?
Doesn’t seem to want to drink so was thinking of putting her outside in her yard by herself today so she has access to her normal waterer.

Oh and the poor girl laid an egg this morning, too :(

Yes I would offer a small amount of feed in lots of water, let her have access to her usual water, whatever makes her happy. Respiratory diseases can be viral, bacterial, or fungal from mold. They run their course over several weeks to months. Some can come back whenever the chicken is under stress, such as cold weather or during molting. Antibiotics can help treat bacterial symptoms, but viral diseases and mold fungus do not respond.

Yes I would offer a small amount of feed in lots of water, let her have access to her usual water, whatever makes her happy. Respiratory diseases can be viral, bacterial, or fungal from mold. They run their course over several weeks to months. Some can come back whenever the chicken is under stress, such as cold weather or during molting. Antibiotics can help treat bacterial symptoms, but viral diseases and mold fungus do not respond.
We gave her mushy food and water and more coconut oil... by very late afternoon she was a totally different chicken - back making almost all her normal noises as with enthusiasm for life.
She spent most of the day asleep!

Thank you so much for your help.

She hasn’t laid an egg since she was sick - but is otherwise back to her happy self. Only difference is that she no longer ‘squats’... everything else seems normal.
It’s been quite a while - do you think this is normal?

Back
Top Bottom