Wheezing silkie too with green poop

Shelbihahn

In the Brooder
May 17, 2022
Hi there! I have a 1 year old silkie rooster who about 5 days ago went to crow and not a sound came out. I thought it was odd and started hearing him wheeze immediately after. After doing some research I thought it could be gape worm because he didn’t have any other symptoms and everyone else seems okay. So I started safeguard in the water. His wheezing is still prevalent and he has green firm poop. I started him on Tylan 50 orally a couple days ago and still am not seeing much improvement. He’s eating fine and drinking as well. I’ve also been giving him a little ACV water mixture a couple times a day. I have him separated from the flock as a precaution as well. Any advice?

Is it posible to upload a picture of the poop? So the poopexperts can see the color green?
Yes! I’ll attach a few. Poor guy has had zero improvement on his wheezing. He is eating too which I know sometimes green poop can show he isn’t.

Attachments

• 7AB84448-8170-489B-9998-D566BCF7C509.jpeg
    7AB84448-8170-489B-9998-D566BCF7C509.jpeg
    637.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 4B81B613-B73C-48B2-B40A-ADB26FD88993.jpeg
    4B81B613-B73C-48B2-B40A-ADB26FD88993.jpeg
    475.2 KB · Views: 3
  • A096B9FD-049E-4CE2-B19C-D2DB91878D2B.jpeg
    A096B9FD-049E-4CE2-B19C-D2DB91878D2B.jpeg
    713.7 KB · Views: 5
Hi there! I have a 1 year old silkie rooster who about 5 days ago went to crow and not a sound came out. I thought it was odd and started hearing him wheeze immediately after. After doing some research I thought it could be gape worm because he didn’t have any other symptoms and everyone else seems okay. So I started safeguard in the water. His wheezing is still prevalent and he has green firm poop. I started him on Tylan 50 orally a couple days ago and still am not seeing much improvement. He’s eating fine and drinking as well. I’ve also been giving him a little ACV water mixture a couple times a day. I have him separated from the flock as a precaution as well. Any advice?
Safe-Guard can't be mixed in water. Gapeworm is very rare. Much more likely it's a respiratory disease. Exactly how much Tylan have you been giving and how many times each day?

Can you get a video of him? Upload to youtube and provide a link.

Anything inside his beak like yellow pasty material or a bad odor?
Any lice/mites?
Photos of him may be helpful as well.

Is he new to you or have you added any new birds recently?

Safeguard is dosed by weight. It's 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row. This will treat most worms that poultry can have. Safeguard settles out of water, so it's best to direct dose him if you are wanting to treat for worms. Gapeworm is not that common in poultry.

Tylan 50 dose is 0.25ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days in a row.

Do check to make sure his crop is emptying overnight, if it's not, then you will want to address that too.

Safe-Guard can't be mixed in water. Gapeworm is very rare. Much more likely it's a respiratory disease. Exactly how much Tylan have you been giving and how many times each day?
I was told to do .25 ml three times a day orally for 3 days. That’s what I’ve been doing for 3 days now and there is no improvement.

Can you get a video of him? Upload to youtube and provide a link.

Anything inside his beak like yellow pasty material or a bad odor?
Any lice/mites?
Photos of him may be helpful as well.

Is he new to you or have you added any new birds recently?

Safeguard is dosed by weight. It's 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row. This will treat most worms that poultry can have. Safeguard settles out of water, so it's best to direct dose him if you are wanting to treat for worms. Gapeworm is not that common in poultry.

Tylan 50 dose is 0.25ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days in a row.

Do check to make sure his crop is emptying overnight, if it's not, then you will want to address that too.
Here is a link to his crow sound. His wheezing is just like this as well

No signs of mites, no foul smell, and his crop is emptying over night just fine. Overall he looks okay as far as his eyes and nostrils go he has no discharge at all. I’ve done Tylan .25 three times a day for three full days now today would be the 4th and there is zero sign of improvement which is what was scaring me. Do you think it’s possibly coccidia ?
Here are some pictures of him currently

Attachments

• DFF8C5D4-0F6E-417E-904D-5FD7254F4462.jpeg
    DFF8C5D4-0F6E-417E-904D-5FD7254F4462.jpeg
    681.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 98A5E6EA-CCA9-4982-AEC5-A15D81B2777F.jpeg
    98A5E6EA-CCA9-4982-AEC5-A15D81B2777F.jpeg
    556.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I was told to do .25 ml three times a day orally for 3 days. That’s what I’ve been doing for 3 days now and there is no improvement.

I’ve done Tylan .25 three times a day for three full days now today would be the 4th and there is zero sign of improvement which is what was scaring me. Do you think it’s possibly coccidia ?
So he only weighs a pound?

Any feeling of air under his skin around his breast, under the wings, along the abdomen?

I would make sure to give him the correct dose and timeline of the Tylan50 since it was started (finish the antibiotic).

I don't think Coccidiosis would cause him to have difficulty crowing, though Corid won't hurt him. If you can, get a vet to perform a fecal float, this will give you info whether you need to treat or not.

So he only weighs a pound?

Any feeling of air under his skin around his breast, under the wings, along the abdomen?

I would make sure to give him the correct dose and timeline of the Tylan50 since it was started (finish the antibiotic).

I don't think Coccidiosis would cause him to have difficulty crowing, though Corid won't hurt him. If you can, get a vet to perform a fecal float, this will give you info whether you need to treat or not.
He weighs 2.5 lbs I was unsure if that was the correct amount so I went with the lower dosage just in case.

I don’t feel any air surrounding him or anything abnormal. Do I need to find an avian specific vet or do most vets offer float fecal testing? Thank you so much!

He weighs 2.5 lbs I was unsure if that was the correct amount so I went with the lower dosage just in case.

I don’t feel any air surrounding him or anything abnormal. Do I need to find an avian specific vet or do most vets offer float fecal testing? Thank you so much!
Any vet *should* be able to perform a fecal float, whether they will for chicken poop, you never know. Seems like a lot don't want to, but it's routine for cats and dogs....

He weighs 2.5lb so he would get 0.625ml of Tylan50 three times a day.

Back
Top Bottom