Wheezing when breathing after 'possum attack

The white urates in her droppings may be due to dehydration. Has she been able to drink at all since the attack? Water with electrolytes or just palin water offered with a scoop might help if she can drink. Some large animal vets might be familiar with chickens. Have you had any problems with worms or gapeworms? Do you worm your birds occasionally or have any SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or Equine Paste? I would hate for you to rush out to find those since she is in such bad shape, though. It is hard to know if the stress of the attack has called something to happen, but I think that an injury if probably more likely.

Thank you! I just researched gapeworm and it seems like a good possibility! I asked my husband to de deworm about as month ago, but he didn't do it right. There has been poop on their eggs recently, which is why I told him we needed to do it. I can't find the dewormer right now to see what kind it was. I think I should rush out to a farm store to buy something for gapeworm. I put fresh food and water in the coop for her today because she didn't want to come down. I'll get some electrolytes for her and the medicine. I hope she is well enough to eat it today. I was able to get her to eat a bunch of dried mealworms yesterday, but she didn't seem interested in eating today. I'll look up what to buy for gapeworm. If you have a suggestion, I'd love it. (I didn't know if the ones you listed were for gapeworm or just for worms in general).

Someone commented to me that it might be gapeworm. I just swabbed her and there appeared to be yellowish worms. I can't get my camera to focus up close on them. After looking at them carefully, I am wondering if it is just mucus because they are not moving at all. They smell slightly stinky, like a stinky dog. Maybe this is a respiratory illness? I found two vets one is an hour away, and the other is over an hour and a half. They are both going to run a minimum of $300. If there's anything I can try to do by myself I really need to because we can't afford that right now.

What would you all do? I'm waiting for the vet to call me back to see if there's room for an appt today, but they are closed until 2 for lunch and are an hour away. It'll be a minimum of $300, which I can't afford. I'm guessing they won't be able to get us in until tomorrow. Would you buy something from the farm store? If so, what? I'm going to get her Gatorade right now.

Last edited:
I thought that I had suggested the SafeGuard for gapeworm, but realize that I didn’t make it clear. That is a good treatment for gapeworms and other worms. It requires a longer period of treatment, 1/4 ml (0.25 ml) per pound—that is 1.5 ml for a five pound chicken—given orally for 5 straight days. Just hold her in one arm like a football, pull down on her wattles, squirt about a 1/4 ml of it at a time, let loose of her wattles to swallow, then repeat until all is gone.

Be sure to offer her fluids often since she has not come down from the roost. I hope she gets better.

Someone commented to me that it might be gapeworm. I just swabbed her and there appeared to be yellowish worms. I can't get my camera to focus up close on them. After looking at them carefully, I am wondering if it is just mucus because they are not moving at all. They smell slightly stinky, like a stinky dog. Maybe this is a respiratory illness? I found two vets one is an hour away, and the other is over an hour and a half. They are both going to run a minimum of $300. If there's anything I can try to do by myself I really need to because we can't afford that right now.
What would you all do? I'm waiting for the vet to call me back to see if there's room for an appt today, but they are closed until 2 for lunch and are an hour away. It'll be a minimum of $300, which I can't afford. I'm guessing they won't be able to get us in until tomorrow. Would you buy something from the farm store? If so, what? I'm going to get her Gatorade right now.

I'm so sorry she is still not doing well :hugs

I agree with @Eggcessive at this point it won't hurt to try the Safeguard and see if that makes a difference.
You mention that you're not sure if it's mucous or worms in the throat, did you happen to see any yellow cheesy material in the roof of her beak too?

That is a lot of money for a vet. Personally, if she were mine, and I saw no improvement with the Safeguard, I would put her down. Not going to be a popular response, but sometimes it's the kindest thing to do.
I'm really sorry. Please keep us posted.

These messages didn't come through until I was already at the vet appointment. So, here's the scoop- they gave her an antibiotic that is also an antiparasitic and they gave her an anti-inflammatory. He thinks it is internal trauma caused from the opossom. She had another stool that had a little bit of blood in it while we were there. I turned down the X-ray to save money because he said it wouldn't change his route of treatment. He said he hopes she makes it, but the prognosis is not very good due to how hard she was laboring to breathe. I gave her her first dose of medicine there and her breathing was much less labored by the time we got home about two hours later. Still terrible, but she didn't have to raise her head up all high to get a breath. I am letting her cuddle up on a towel in our bathtub to sleep tonight and I'll give her more Powerade tomorrow. I'm hoping she'll eat. If not, I'll try scrambled eggs or wet cat food. I am praying she will recover!!! PS - Cute side note- I think she really loved the car ride! She sat in a box that I seat-belted into the middle back seat and she looked like she loved it! Sweet girl, please pray for her!
Thank you all for all your amazing help and support. You are incredible!!!

These messages didn't come through until I was already at the vet appointment. So, here's the scoop- they gave her an antibiotic that is also an antiparasitic and they gave her an anti-inflammatory. He thinks it is internal trauma caused from the opossom. She had another stool that had a little bit of blood in it while we were there. I turned down the X-ray to save money because he said it wouldn't change his route of treatment. He said he hopes she makes it, but the prognosis is not very good due to how hard she was laboring to breathe. I gave her her first dose of medicine there and her breathing was much less labored by the time we got home about two hours later. Still terrible, but she didn't have to raise her head up all high to get a breath. I am letting her cuddle up on a towel in our bathtub to sleep tonight and I'll give her more Powerade tomorrow. I'm hoping she'll eat. If not, I'll try scrambled eggs or wet cat food. I am praying she will recover!!! PS - Cute side note- I think she really loved the car ride! She sat in a box that I seat-belted into the middle back seat and she looked like she loved it! Sweet girl, please pray for her!
Thank you all for all your amazing help and support. You are incredible!!!
:hugs Oh I hope she gets better quickly!
Do you remember what antibiotic the vet gave her, that would be interesting to know.

Awww...she got to go on a trip, glad she seemed to enjoy it. Let us know how she's doing.

She is doing way better today! I am so happy! She is breathing with a little bit less labor and is walking around with the other chickens, drinking and eating!!! The medicine that they prescribed says trimeth / sulfa susp 240 mg/5ml. Millie is four pounds.
IMG_20191115_154546460.jpg

Back
Top Bottom