When a hen is too old to lay...

Thank you for all of the responses. Everybody here has so much information to share. Like Bantymum, I have no intention of discarding an old hen. I was actually thinking that once I get my farm, I might want to "rescue" a few from someone who planned to kill them to get rid of them, rather than put them to some good use as food.

I have never gotten rid of an animal because it can no longer produce. As a kid, our birds were pets and they had a home until they passed on from natural causes. I guess we figured it was part of their well-earned retirement package!

So your supermarket beef is fed chicken shavings, poop, feathers, and old hens. Actually that is the least disgusting.

That is why I am a vegetarian, I only eat eggs, (as animal protein) and then I only eat my eggs, 'cause I know what goes in them.

I am much more healthy than my friends, I have lost two friends in the past 8 months and another is dying.

How sad and sick, they are killing us:
idunno.gif

SO EAT EGGS, Cholesterol talk is a bunch of bunk it is the biggest scam created for us to use their drugs which are now said to be useless. I will get off my soap box now thank you,
love.gif

Quote:
At least that puts your old hens to good use! I just think that it is obscene to just kill them for no good purpose. The reason why I believe that I wouldn't kill my old hens is that I know how I am... a big softy!

I personally have a hard time culling, but my friend who doesn't, did it for me. I felt bad but I did eat it, (I don't usually eat animal meat) I was able to find a home for one of my roos. the other two were getting so loud that I had to do something.

idunno.gif

I agree to kill, and toss to the cows is awful, to kill for your own food is another thing. I could have sent mine to auction but they would have killed them anyway, at least my friend did it with some kindness, they seem to realize their fate and gave no resistance which actually made it worse for me.

I will keep mine till they expire of old age, after all, if they were kind enough to give me their prescious eggs then I can be kind enough to let them live a life of happiness.
love.gif

Quote:
Yep. I haven't eaten factory-farmed beef since 2001, when I read Michael Pollan's article for the New York Times, "Power Steer." It's truly horrifying.

Quote:
Me too, Churken. When I was making the decision to get chickens, I spent some time pondering this very question and I decided that for me, these four girls would be pets first and egg-machines second. Long after they stop laying, they can still provide amusement, bug control for my yard and rich compost for my garden. I'd say that's a fair trade for a few dollars of feed.
wink.png

Last edited:
Long after they stop laying, they can still provide amusement, bug control for my yard and rich compost for my garden. I'd say that's a fair trade for a few dollars of feed.

I didn't think about the composting end, you're right another reason to keep'em they help pushin' up daisies, oops did I say that?
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom