When are chicks old enough to be outside during the day?

LeoPig

Songster
Feb 2, 2019
Hello. I searched around, but it was hard to find information on when chicks can go outside to explore, but still be sleeping in the house. I would love to bring my girls outside so they can have some fun in the yard, but what age is right? Right now they are 2 weeks.

upload_2019-3-7_13-41-46.png
I also thought you might want to see the cuties! :)
Thanks!

It is 42F right now.
Ok. Since i don't know where you are located, it would be hard to tell. Usually you put chicks out at 6 weeks, but this all depends. If you are having 70+ degree weather in the day, you can put young chicks, like three weeks, out in the day, but they would still need a light at night. Also, if you are having cold weather, like 30 or less, i would still keep a lamp on them, just because they are still young. You need to keep the chicks in until at least 3 weeks though, anyway, just because they will need very warm temps. You will have to use your own judgement.

It’s been awhile since I’ve had chicks. But I used to bring some grass/dirt/leaves in and put it in the corner of the brooder around 2 weeks for them to play and develop some immunity.
At those temps you can probably start bringing them out for short periods (15 min) as long as it isn’t windy. If they start to huddle then bring them back in.

It’s been awhile since I’ve had chicks. But I used to bring some grass/dirt/leaves in and put it in the corner of the brooder around 2 weeks for them to play and develop some immunity.

This is a great idea! I've been wanting to give them treats--actually bought some dried mealworms--but have heard people discouraging giving "treats" while they are in their first few weeks. But I have no doubt they would be thrilled to have something new to inspect in their box....so thanks for sharing that idea! :jumpy

This is a great idea! I've been wanting to give them treats--actually bought some dried mealworms--but have heard people discouraging giving "treats" while they are in their first few weeks. But I have no doubt they would be thrilled to have something new to inspect in their box....so thanks for sharing that idea! :jumpy
Just think about what a baby chick would experience with it's hen mom. Bugs, grass, dirt, seeds. You can give chicks those things that would be naturally occurring. Just be wise and don't give things that may be temping and too big, causing choking! And be sure the main diet is the baby chick food as it contains what they need to grow and thrive! :hugs

I just bought some chicks yesterday, today they are outside. I put them in a brooder set-up, but realized that they are still too small for that, so I put them in my giant clear plastic box and they are happier. They are older and I got them for $1 each, all pullets (they say??) and I'd say 2 weeks old. I'm the daughter of a farmer (and Navy man) and was taught from a young age that animals belong outside, not in the house. My Dad wouldn't even let our dog in the house! I do! :D:D
new leghorn chicks.jpg brooder.jpg new chicks small.jpg

Back
Top Bottom