When are the eggs coming!?

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!

My first egg! Most likely from one of my two Dominiques that are 22.5 weeks old.

Not a tiny egg, but not store bought size either...it looks just right for a pullet under 6 months of age.

EVERY EGGCITING!

Proud papa,

--Hugh

Congratulations! You have every right to be proud. I am happy for you. When we first got our "hand-me-down" chicken, we saved all her eggs that first week and the whole family had a fresh home grown egg for breakfast on Sunday morning. The kids got a real kick out of it (and so did I!). Enjoy!

What is WRONG with my chickens!!??

I use www.photobucket.com (free account, not the $$ one) to host my photos and then upload the image link tags.

I figured out which pullet laid the first egg, it was my Dominique (named Dominique). I went home for lunch and saw that she was the one that looked a little dazed from popping that first egg and the others looked normal. Plus, she was the one that has been making all the noise during the past couple of weeks.

I haven't offered any oyster shell yet, just the 50% layer and 50% grower comercial mix. My next bag of feed will be 100% layer crumbles.

Keep me posted on your egg count,

--Hugh

I'll try the photo advise.

I toss in a very small handfull of oyster shells about once a week into their outdoor feed bucket. It all disappears eventually.

How exciting that you got your first egg! Three of mine seem "ready" as you described but still nothing. I thought for sure by now. Oh well, I am enjoying their antics anyway. They all come running into the driveway along with my dog when I pull in from work. Everyone wants a treat. It's funny to watch.

My 7 week old babies are finishing their baby chick crumbles. Unfortunately, everytime they go out to the chicken run, they manage to jump on the Big Girl laying crumbles and then just gorge themselves. Is this okay? I can't figure out anyway to keep them out of it. I have to feed the big girls, and everybody is integrated except at night. Then the little girls have to eat their baby crumbles. I wasn't worried about it until I started to read these posts. Is the laying crumbles going to be bad for my little girls???
idunno.gif

Well if my calculations are correct the chickens will be 6 months old tomorrow. No eggs yet. A friend of mine suggested feeding them oyster shell to get them laying. He didn't say how that was supposed to help. Maybe it's like when my wife was pregnant, and everyone had a solution to making her go into labor.LOL

JB

Quote:
Naaw, that’s natural. When a hen raises them, they follow her example and eat whatever is available. They’ll get their starter part of the time, and it’s more important that the layers don’t get their starter if it’s medicated. They’ll be fine.

Quote:
Oyster shell won’t ‘make’ them lay, it’s just a supliment so when they start to lay, they have plenty of calcium in their system. There’s enough calcium in layer mash/pellets for most hens, having extra offered freely is just a very good idea, some will eat more.

Just wondering...anyone's hens who truly free range and you aren't around to see, they may be finding a nice secret place out back behind the coop someplace to lay eggs. Since they tend to play follow the leader in egg laying, they MIGHT have a secret stash of eggs out there you know... just saying a look around the property might be in order!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom