When can I give some snacks?

ashlynne87

In the Brooder
May 20, 2023
I would love to start giving my 3-3.5 week old chicks some snacks, even if it’s just to explore and have fun. They’ve only had organic chick starter and grower feed up until now with some occasional chick grit sprinkled on top (some of them like eating smaller pieces of their pine shavings 🤦🏻‍♀️🙄). I do have a lovely herb garden and large vegetable garden that I could give them treats from. I love the idea of giving them treats from the garden, especially ones that might have some added health benefits! Any help y’all could provide would be appreciated! Thanks y’all!

They can have a little but make sure the herbs a safe for birds.
There's not much health boosting properties in the small quantities they'll nibble.

My chicks are 2 1/2 weeks old and have been enjoying steamed and pureed stinging nettle since they were just a few days old - super healthy for them, too. Recently, I gave them some cut-up cabbage leaves; today, they received just a small snack of steamed beef liver (run through the blender, then mixed with polenta) - omg, they LOVED it!

You may give them vegetables since the age of 0
Good to know. Any vegetables you’d recommend trying first? Anything to def make sure to avoid?

They can have a little but make sure the herbs a safe for birds.
There's not much health boosting properties in the small quantities they'll nibble.
Thanks! Is it better to cut things up into smaller pieces too? I’ll def make sure to check for safety of all herbs given.

Good to know. Any vegetables you’d recommend trying first? Anything to def make sure to avoid?

Thanks! Is it better to cut things up into smaller pieces too? I’ll def make sure to check for safety of all herbs given.
They're capable of nipping off the right size pieces, cutting it up will encourage them to swallow larger peices than normal.

Very small amounts of anything chicken safe should be okay, but I find that chicks may take a while to show interest in new things, so don't be surprised if they don't take to any fruits or veggies right away.

Back
Top Bottom