When can I let my chicks join the flock

amzevans

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 24, 2013
Hey I have 3 chicks that will be 8 weeks old on Friday. One of them is starting to get very big and seems to want to come out of the run separating them from the hens. I thought I had to keep them separate until they are a lot older but wanted theirs advice/experience on whether its possible to free range these little ones now. I worry about next doors car as two of then still look so small. Any advice gratefully received x

Hi there,
You have held them for quite a while!
Assuming all three are hens, you may want to keep them in a little house
where the others can see them and get used to them for a while and keep an eye out.

I introduced mine very early and they were fine and adventurous with the others.

Hope this helped
smile.png

The broody stayed with them until they were 5 weeks in a separate house with a run. The other hens can see the chicks in the run but they sleep in another house. Should I let them into the garden with the other 3 and see how it goes? I'm more worried abou next doors cat. The older ones chase cats away but I'm not sure if the chicks are big enough to fend for themselves yet. I don't know if they are pullets or cokerals yet x

OK I like the idea of putting them in the garden together
but couldn't recommend watching them for while they are out
there for the first few times to assure all is OK.
8 weeks should be old enough - it won't be simple whenever you do it!!

Back
Top Bottom