When can I let my hen with chicks out without supervision with the flock?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Knock Kneed Hen, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    This is only the second time I've let a broody raise a couple of chicks. The first time I was letting the hen and chicks mingle with the flock (I had a creep set up for them to get away to). All was going well for a couple of weeks, then I found a scalped chick hiding in one of the nest boxes.

I'm letting the chicks I have now mingle with the flock while I'm in there cleaning. Tonight the mama went to roost and the babies jumped right up there with them. I was afraid that when the others went to roost they might get too rough with the babies so I tucked them safely in their crate inside the coop.

Am I being overprotective, perhaps a bit paranoid, because of the first experience? Chicks are 4 weeks old btw. Thanks!

2. cr8z4chicks

cr8z4chicks Hatching

Jun 3, 2012
    CT
    I would think there mama would protect them from the other hens, I have 4 week old babies that my hen hatched and the other hens just leave them alone because "Big Mama" is sooo protective. I think at this point they should be okay, do the other hens go after them?

3. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    One of the hens was viciously going after just one of the chicks for a while but I haven't seen her do it recently.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: