When can I put ducklings outside? Running out of water when I'm not home.

farmgirl2013

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 7, 2013
How soon can I put ducklings in the outside pen? Right now they are in the house under a heat lamp, and I'm managing the mess ok, but they are running out of water (with 2 of the bottle types) in between I leave for work at 6:30am & return for lunch at noon. Same in the afternoon & overnight. I purchased a larger (2gal) self waterer, but can't get it in the cage w/o it spilling everywhere. I guess the seal breaks when I move it. It will be great for outside tho.

They are about a 8 days old. Temps here in NC are averging in the 60's but 30s to 40s at night. I imagine they need to stay in a bit longer...but should I try to only offer food in the am, lunch, and pm when I am here to be able to refill the waterer?

That is what I do with mine. Only offer food when I am there to give water. I have been moving mine outside fairly soon lately. I give them a dry home and let them keep there brooder light for cold spells and it has always worked out just fine!

At those temps I'd wait till 4 wks the soonest then offer an outdoor safe heat lamp till 6-8 wks thats when their usually fully feathered mean time on warm days they could spend the day out and return to brooder at night rule of thumb is 95f for first week dropping 5 degrees each week so @ 8 days they should be at 90-85 f

Ducklings need feed and water 24/7 until 2 wks of age to thrive after 2 wks it can be taken away overnight. I can certainly understand your problem because food w/o water can be fatal have you try the 1 gal screw tops like this one which I placed in a tray to catch and reserve water
it works well 5 ducklings at age 4 wks went 7 hrs overnite and never ran out they are sold at most local farm stores or if u have a Tsc

I agree with duckins. Ducklings need feed and water 24/7 for at least the first 2 weeks. They cannot survive those temps at this age. If you can put a heat lamp out that will keep their brooder at about 80* this week then you can put them out. But drafts can kill ducklings.

Chick waterers are really not appropriate after the first week. They are not deep enough for them to dip their heads in to wash their eyes and nostrils and they are way to easy to splash all of the water out of.

Click on the link in my signature (at the bottom of this post) titled raising and caring for ducklings. There is a pic of an appropriate waterer and a link to another thread with more info.

I have 3 pekin ducklings who are about 5 weeks old. We're building an insulated duck house right now because they're too big for my brooder. I'm going to hang a heat lamp, so same question really- are they okay to stay in the duck house at night? Temps this week in NC will be 60s+ during the day but 30s at night.

I say yes. I actually moved my last one out sooner than that and it is a bit colder and she has been fine!

Thanks so much for the tips! The waterers with resevoir looks perfect, and I only work half a day tomorrow, so looking forward to trouble shooting this issue!

I was just going to ask the same thing.. I have 3 ducks that are bout 5 weeks old. My problem is not keeping them in water but keeping them from watering my whole living room.. The little angels are very messing and sling water everywhere. I'm having trouble keeping up with the mess and I would love to put them outside but i was thinking they were still to young because they don't have feathers yet. So your saying I could keep them outside during the day but will have to bring them back into the house in the evenings?

Back
Top Bottom