When can I put them outside?

CrazyFowlFreak

Pine Hill Farm
11 Years
Apr 24, 2009
WV
I have two four week old Silkies that are out of the brooder with no light. Can I put them in their hutch in the garage now with a light? I'm in WV and it's been around 40', but we're expecting snow this week. Thanks!

It's an unheated garage. I keep my Silkies and OEGBs out there. They will be in a rabbit hutch with a heat lamp. Think that'll be alright? Thanks!

I think you should be fine. keeping them dry is really important. I live in WV also and just moved mine out at about 6 weeks old and they are doing well. I have a 7' x 4' coop for them with two heat lamps. I use only one during the 30- 50 deg temps and on the really cold nights where the temps will fall less that 30... I plug in the second heat lamp for a few days. One lamp is 125 watt and one is 250 watt. I haven't used the 250 watt for a week or so but might plug it back in for the cold coming this weekend.

Good luck!!

Great info, thank you! They are in the Double Deluxe Rabbit Hutch, so they'll be just fine.
smile.png

I have my 4-wk old silkies out in my unheated garage in a rabbit hutch with a heat light. These are my first chicks so I don't know any better! But they have been there since I got them a week ago and they're fine. It's not terribly warm out there but they don't seem to be huddled under the lamp. I need to move them out to the coop in two weeks so I think we're on the right track. It's been in the 30's here at night.

Back
Top Bottom