When can I start to feed the chicks new foods

There is a whole page on here somewhere that has a list of do and don't for snacks. I started giving my week olds a little yogurt with their crumbles. It's supposed to help jump start their digestive system and they love it. The crumbles mixed in help to keep them from slinging the yogurt. Good Luck O Yea mine love mashed up hard boiled eggs.

Jenn -

according to the treat chart listed above, only the skin and pit of the avocado are bad for them. I think you're fine giving it to them now and again as a treat as long as it doesn't include skin or pit.

~Lisa

No problem... I am new to chickens myself and my first chicks are now three weeks old. I have been giving them earthworms since they were 4 days old and it took them a while to figure them out but now they LOVE them and it's something they would be eating if they were out foraging with mom. As long as they have chick grit, I'm pretty darn sure you can give them mealworms as soon as they are big enough to swallow them. Until then, you might try digging in the dirt and trying to find a few smaller earthworms to see how they handle them.

Also, from reading on this site, I drizzled a little yogurt on their crumbles for the first time yesterday and they LOVED it.

Back
Top Bottom