When can I switch to wood chips?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by emsevers, Jan 11, 2009.

1. emsevers

emsevers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    I have 15 baby quail that hatched out 2 days ago. I have them on puppy training pads right now but I just bought a big cube of pine chips. So when is it ok to switch to them. I've heard that they try to eat the chips so I've been a little nervous. So what do you think?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I wish I could help but I have never raised quail. Good luck!

3. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    For chicks, I wait 1 week. Not sure about quail but would assume 1 week would be fine.

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I start mine on shavings. At most I put in shavings and then put a layer or 2 of paper towels. When the paper towels get dirty I start removing them until the chicks are stuck on shavings. So long as they are eating their starter well they won't eat too many shavings. I actually have less issue with quail than chickens because the chicks are so much smaller that most of the shavings are too big for them to even try eating.

5. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I start mine on shavings as well...not dusty stuff!

6. futurefarmer08

futurefarmer08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    near Sac. Ca
    I have questions too. I have 4 baby chicks...will it hurt them to eat some of the wood chips. Also at the feed store they gave us wood shavings for chicks. Is there a big problem if it is several kinds of woods poss even cedar? Although I don't smell cedar so maybe that is not in there? The feed store seems pretty knowledeable. .. Thanks!

7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    The chicks will pick at some shavings but so long as they realize chick starter is food they usually won't eat enough to be a problem. That's why I'll often use the towels for just a couple days with chicks especially with small shavings or large chicks. By then they know poultry feed is food and shavings aren't so tasty. Tons of people put them directly on shavings though and have no problems.

If it's white or yellow shavings it's not cedar. It's probably a mix of pine and spruce. Spruce is actually safer than pine. Whenever my feed store gets in spruce shavings I buy them up since they never know what kind they'll be sent. Spruce shavings and mix pine/spruce bags are usually marked "softwood shavings" with possibly the type in small print somewhere on the bag. Cedar will be various shades of red.

8. futurefarmer08

futurefarmer08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    near Sac. Ca
    Good Advice![​IMG] Thanks for the info!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by