When can I switch to wood chips?

emsevers

Songster
11 Years
Nov 30, 2008
Carlton, OR
I have 15 baby quail that hatched out 2 days ago. I have them on puppy training pads right now but I just bought a big cube of pine chips. So when is it ok to switch to them. I've heard that they try to eat the chips so I've been a little nervous. So what do you think?

I start mine on shavings. At most I put in shavings and then put a layer or 2 of paper towels. When the paper towels get dirty I start removing them until the chicks are stuck on shavings. So long as they are eating their starter well they won't eat too many shavings. I actually have less issue with quail than chickens because the chicks are so much smaller that most of the shavings are too big for them to even try eating.

I have questions too. I have 4 baby chicks...will it hurt them to eat some of the wood chips. Also at the feed store they gave us wood shavings for chicks. Is there a big problem if it is several kinds of woods poss even cedar? Although I don't smell cedar so maybe that is not in there? The feed store seems pretty knowledeable. .. Thanks!

The chicks will pick at some shavings but so long as they realize chick starter is food they usually won't eat enough to be a problem. That's why I'll often use the towels for just a couple days with chicks especially with small shavings or large chicks. By then they know poultry feed is food and shavings aren't so tasty. Tons of people put them directly on shavings though and have no problems.

If it's white or yellow shavings it's not cedar. It's probably a mix of pine and spruce. Spruce is actually safer than pine. Whenever my feed store gets in spruce shavings I buy them up since they never know what kind they'll be sent. Spruce shavings and mix pine/spruce bags are usually marked "softwood shavings" with possibly the type in small print somewhere on the bag. Cedar will be various shades of red.

Good Advice!
frow.gif
Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom