When can my ducklings enter the flock?

kgeorge

Songster
14 Years
Mar 5, 2009
Beech Creek, PA
I have five Cayuga ducklings, 4 weeks old, four are crested. Right now I have them in a play pen in the chicken coop and they make big, big messes in there with their water. I am wondering if I can let them enter the flock which would be with six older Cayugas and a bunch of chickens. These ducks are pretty big. I think they would be a lot happier not being penned up.
smile.png

Last edited:
Usually you want to introduce new ducks to a flock by having them penned next to the flock, so they can visit through a fence. After a few days or a week let them spend supervised time together until you know they will get along. This is especially true for new young ducks, which could be hurt by a flock of established older ducks. I just set up a temporary pen during this process.

My littles have been outside in a pen, visible to the duck flock, for about 3 weeks now. The adults have shown a bit of interest in them, but not a lot.
The first time I let them out to wander, John the Drake ran after them and tried to attack one, but it ran from him and he stopped.
Now when I let them out they just hang out with each other and the adults pay no attention at all.
I would be letting them stay out with the big guys all day if I could but I have a little dog who has watched them grow up, and she thinks they're just about ready for dinner. Her dinner!

Thank you. I will let them out while being supervised to see what happens. I will attempt to get some pics of them to post. I have a picture of them when they were small but nothing since then. They are adorable, though.

Back
Top Bottom