When can my fall chicks go out to the big coop? It's so cold!

My chicks that arrived in early April were in a heated shed for about 10 days. Then they went on the screened porch with a draft guard and heat lamp. At five weeks old, which would have made it the first week or so in May we took their light away. They were and continue to be absolutely fine.

I usually get my chicks 1st of Oct. Mine are in the brooder w/a low watt heat lamp until about 3 weeks. I start them off with temp of 95 degrees and lower 5 degrees each week. I have a wireless digital thermometer in the brooder and the nursery coop. Then I put them in the nursery coop w/a heat lamp, no nest boxes, until they are about 4 months, then they go into the coop with the big girls.

Pic 1) I just zoomed in with my camera and it is dark here so excuse pic....I took it from bathroom window so I didn't have to go outside. I put my bantams out at 5 weeks old...this pic is what they were in 5-8 weeks old. Quail are now living in it...all cleaned of course...
wink.png

quailplace.jpg

Pic 2 Hubby built this...they are almost 9 weeks old now (and some are about to go on craigslist..my bantam roos are soooo spunky! Too many I think)

BantyBarn1-1.jpg

Pic 3 Open floor with a later to go into second floor...ladder not pictured

BantyBarn3.jpg

Pic 4 Top housing area with light bulb for warmth. Happy guys/gals all in for the night. There are roosting bars and wood floor...(Ya ...there is one standard chick in there....lol...the giant!)

BantyBarn2.jpg

There is a sand gravel mix on the ground in the run....

Back
Top Bottom