When can roosters..... you know

It depends on the breed, some are slower maturing than others (big breeds: Brahmas for instance, or Jerseys) but most standard sized breeds start showing interest and working on it by 4-5 months (also crowing a lot, doing little dances for the hens, etc., very cute). Some are precocious and get into it a little earlier...

Actually slower maturing breeds still usually can mate around the same time production-bred breeds to, the hens just don't lay as early.

Most can start to mate by 21-32 weeks of age, but it does vary. Even production breeds, hatchery strains included, can mature slower than others.

It also depends upon whether you have other roos around. If there is a dominant male, the young guns won't mate early (or at least not whilst alpha male is around!).

I currently have 25 week old Brahma boys who show no sign of mating as I have several other adult males. My 28 week old NN X Brahma mates with any and everything as he is such a fast runner, but he only ever crows when he is a very long distance from the 'king pins'.

Quote:
You have plenty of time left, I wouldn't incubate or collect egg's from him till spring if you want to use him.

Back
Top Bottom