When can tbey b moved from brooder?

kdavis228

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 25, 2011
mississippi
What's the youngest age the Chicks can be moved from the brooder? I have 26 three week old and 3 5 month old aurucanas that are already out, and was wondering when the 26 cod join the 3

Still new here also but when they're fully feathered and the temps are good.
So what are your nightime lows?
Can you safely setup a heat lamp in their coop?
At 3 weeks they should be kept at 85 still.
If you could keep them that warm 24/7 then they should be fine I beleive.
Did you plan on keeping them seperate from the older larger birds?

I'm in south Ms so it stays over 80 all day and night. I haven't had a light on them in a week and their fine. I have been letting them in the run during the day, and they mingle pretty well the older birds chasethem around a minute but then they don't pay them attention after that

Our power was out recently. It got down to 65 and our 10 day old chicks were just wandering around, eating and drinking as usual. They didn't get piled up at all. Last night it was 80 when I went to bed so I didn't turn the heat lamp on. DH checked them this am and it was about 70 and he said they were just walking around, flapping their wings, etc. Not piled up or even snuggling. They are 2 weeks old now.

Kdavis228,

I am in central Mississippi and my five BO's went into their outside coop/run at three weeks. The day I put them out we had record setting
lows (in the mid-forties) and I put a lamp on them for two nights. Now, three weeks later we are having record setting highs, so no heat at
night is required. In fact, keeping them from overheating is the thing. Give them lots of shade, a dirt floor and lots of water, and most
chickens can survive anything the weather can throw at them here.
Let us know what breed you have.

I have 10 black Australorps 10 red sex links, and 5 new Hampshire reds, and there 3 weeks today, and then I have 3 aurucanas that are 3 months

any advice on how to introduce my 8 new Ameracuanas to the 3 one year old layers (Barred Rock) that already are outside?

To the OP, I would move them out now, but in a separate pen or cage. I've never added chickens to my flock (I let my broodies handle it) but have read over and over they all need to be full size. I know some people have added younger to older, though, and gotten away with it.

Mine are 5 weeks old now and in a coop/run with no electricity yet, so no heat. The temp last night dropped to 41F and right now is 47F. They had no problem and were raring to go outside when I opened the coop door.

My 8 week olds have been outside for about 2 weeks now, and it gets down in the 50's at night. They seem just fine in the coop. I am going to wait till next week to integrate my six 4 week olds out in the coop and run. I have had the heat lamp off in the brooder for over a week for the young ones and they are doing fine in the garage.

Back
Top Bottom