when can they go in my big pond?

juliachick

Songster
10 Years
Mar 18, 2009
(Northeastern PA)
I am wondering at what age I can allow my ducklings to go to the biggish pond in our backyard? I plan to put a little coop (is that what you call duck homes?) next to the pond for them. Does anyone allow their ducks to do this. I am thinking it may be hard to get them out of the pond? ANy advice?

Jen

They won't stay in water ALLday, but they sure do like it. I just have a pool in the backyard AND a huge water puddle after all our rain (KS). But, I can always get them out of anyplace if I offer a handful of greens or worms. Good luck!

I probably wouldn't let them into a pond I couldn't easily rescue them from until they were well feathered out. If they become waterlogged they could have a problem. Also does the pond have any large fish or snapping turtles in it? Either of those will eat little duckies.

Good to know about the worms:) I guess I will wait till they are about grown to put them in the big pond. I'll go get a baby pool until then. I don't want to take a chance on one having trouble because I am sure as heck not going in any water I can't see the bottom of:D

Quote:
lau.gif
I have to agree with that sentiment.

Back
Top Bottom