When Chciks puff out their hackle feather and look like they are sparing.

crazyelk

Songster
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
Kentucky
When Chciks puff out their hackle feather and look like they are sparing are they showing roo traits that young? They were doing this a couple weeks after they hatched. or could they be pullets and just playing?

I have 3mo pullets that do that. Mainly when their cockerel tries to be the boss and they are like "Uh, no!" at him.

Like mentioned, pullets do it to. They are at "that age" where they are more-or-less figuring out the pecking order and are bumping chests and things like that. Very amusing to watch.

Thanks!!! I also heard my first crow out of a couple chicks that are about 4 weeks old. Are these definitely roos?

Sounded like lil squeaky birds. I put them a new roost in the coop and these two lil banty roosters got up on the roost and gave it all they had. Wish I had thought to take video. It was pitiful but it was funny.

You heard CROWING from four week olds? Holy crap!

Sounded like lil squeaky birds. I put them a new roost in the coop and these two lil banty roosters got up on the roost and gave it all they had. Wish I had thought to take video. It was pitiful but it was funny.

Mine started at 4 weeks old as well - and he sounded like a choking goose. XD

Here is the big man now - Mr. Darcy -

That would be really funny, I'm sure! Our Buttercup cockerel started trying hard at 7wks and got the full thing at 8 but it still sounded pitiful! He had the basic cock-a-doodle-do! But it definitely wasn't roo sounding! Lol

Back
Top Bottom