When did BYC eggs get more expensive than Eggbid & Ebay??

I dont have a problem with the price of the eggs, so much as I do the quality. If your going to sell eggs for the current higher than normal prices, I think your birds should be of good quality, and not something you just threw in a pen together because they look similar.

Quote:
Anyone who follws the auctions on Ebay or Eggbid should realize that probably 50% of the sellers have no idea about the quality of their birds. I know I have questioned a few about the type closeness of their birds to the Standard of Perfection, and most of the time they have no idea what I am talking about.

Quote:
Yes, the Cochins are from hatchery birds and that was the mistake. I am, at this point, assuming that most of these birds are going to be culls. There is an incredible amount of sparring going on between the Cochins and the the meat birds and the fact that they are terrified of me even after I spend time socializing them will put them on the dinner table when we process the meat birds. I have been working on hunting down quality Partridge Cochin stock but it's been hard to find as I am new (I have written folks in the Cochin Int'l club, but no luck so far). Meanwhile, I have high hopes for the Barnevelders. I am on the lists for Julie and Christine in May and am certain that these are not going to be flighty/aggressive birds. These ladies both have excellent reputations.

In the end, the mistake was mine.

Quote:
Yes, the Cochins are from hatchery birds and that was the mistake. I am, at this point, assuming that most of these birds are going to be culls. There is an incredible amount of sparring going on between the Cochins and the the meat birds and the fact that they are terrified of me even after I spend time socializing them will put them on the dinner table when we process the meat birds. I have been working on hunting down quality Partridge Cochin stock but it's been hard to find as I am new (I have written folks in the Cochin Int'l club, but no luck so far). Meanwhile, I have high hopes for the Barnevelders. I am on the lists for Julie and Christine in May and am certain that these are not going to be flighty/aggressive birds. These ladies both have excellent reputations.

Don't give up on your cochins, they are always more flighty as chicks. I raise both Std and Bantam Cochins and they are all Sweeties, in fact one of my most loving roosters I never spent much time with as a chick, he will be a year old in June and is a real lovey dovey. I just showed him a couple weeks ago and carried him around the show like a baby , he would lay his head on my shoulder and nuzzle me.

As far as cost of eggs, I think it has a lot of factors. It mainly comes down to quality and shipping/packing costs. I have worked hard, spent lots of money the last year to build up my flock, my birds are all Show Quality or Breeder Quality. I still think I am being reasonable on what I charge, anywhere from $25-$40 dozen depending on the breed.

Quote:

Don't give up on your cochins, they are always more flighty as chicks. I raise both Std and Bantam Cochins and they are all Sweeties, in fact one of my most loving roosters I never spent much time with as a chick, he will be a year old in June and is a real lovey dovey. I just showed him a couple weeks ago and carried him around the show like a baby , he would lay his head on my shoulder and nuzzle me.

As far as cost of eggs, I think it has a lot of factors. It mainly comes down to quality and shipping/packing costs. I have worked hard, spent lots of money the last year to build up my flock, my birds are all Show Quality or Breeder Quality. I still think I am being reasonable on what I charge, anywhere from $25-$40 dozen depending on the breed.

hmmm, my cochins (frizzles) came from Lisa (dipsydoodledoo) last year and they have ALWAYS been very friendly, even the goofy cockerals
hu.gif

Boy you guys are all gonna think I am a nut job. I just paid 75 dollars for BCM eggs and I didnt even get them.. I gifted them to my new hommie in sterling Tori!!!! so I guess you could say I gave away 75 dollar eggs!!! I am crazy huh!!!

well ill give an example which I always include shipping in my price to save a headache of adding up. I just bought a pair of silver marans which are from great lines and shipping was 80.00 and the price was 50.00 comes to 130.00, bought 18 grown gambel quail for after shipping 200.00+, I bought most of my black coppers which had to out many roos to get my hens as chicks and paid 16.00 a piece. Feed as sky rocketed and so has shipping. I buy large and small bubble wrap, peanuts and other packing items. So even though for example I think 100.00 for half a dozen may be alittle steep you have to make atleast what you have into them. id love to sell my birds cheaper but cost alone limits that along with the lines many come from. My blue laced are from barber lines and if you can see a true BLRW a hatchery stock does not compare in any way.

Brandon

I would pay more for some breeds because they are rare. Just from participating in an egg swap recently, I've gotten a good idea about the cost of shipping. The dozen that came to me cost $6.20 to ship from Utah to New Mexico but the 8 duck eggs that I shipped to Georgia cost me $11.00 to ship. I reused the packing material that mine were wrapped in. There are 2 breeds that as soon as I have the funds, I'm going to get, even if it cost me (gulp) $60 for 1/2 dozen. It's all about how bad do you want them and how much you are willing to part with in order to get the breeds that you want.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom