When did chickens become exotic pets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hahaha, reminds me of when Bruno was shedding his winter coat. He came in the house and his fur got all over my dad's food.
lau.gif

Quote:
Socialization. Learning to behave around people so that the dog doesn't act inappropriately. Training. Grooming. Fitting for a collar or other things.

I've done bookstore signings (published author) and brought my dog into the bookstore. She was 100% well-behaved and even allowed children to hang off her (when the parents didn't bother to ask permission). I ended up extricating my dog from misbehaving children.
roll.png
The bookstore employees were bringing Fiji water for my dog as though she was a celebrity. She had her canine good citizen and multiple titles.
cool.png

Not once did my dog ever interact with anyone who didn't want to interact with her. She was far better behaved than most people I know.

But the one thing you are missing is that public places are not your private training ground. Some people just dont like animals and should not be exposed unnecessarily. Its not whether your dog is trained but all animals in general. I shouldn't have to worry if I go to the store if I am going to run into a dog. Not including a pet store where one should expect to see an animal. Although I was picking up a bag of dog food at Petco,got a 40lb bag on my shoulder and almost trip on an unleashed dog. Granted you would expect to see one not trip over one. Just dont see the need to bring animals into places unrelated to animal care. People who do so are just selfish of their own needs and have no consideration of others.

This thread has gotten way of topic of the OP and I was a party to it. Not going to comment on the dog issue and hopefully the moderator shuts it down.

Quote:
It's very irresponsible of you to take your wild & dangerous chicken into a public place!

gig.gif

I don't get why people get so upset about having animals in a pet store. It IS a pet store after all.
roll.png

People need to turn their concerns towards something much more worth while.

As someone said, if you don't like that a business allows pets, take your money elsewhere.

Our local home depot banned dogs for a while. I believe the move lasted 2 months?? The amount of money they lost was unbelievable. Almost all the local contractors take their dogs to work with them. So all that business went across the street to Lowe's. A lot of the local community bring their pets in as well. All of that business went to Lowe's. People told their friends and asked them not to go to Home Depot.

It didn't take long before the manager got the message and went back to allowing dogs. He had banned them because some irresponsible people didn't control their dogs. The responsible people stepped up and the employees tell people with badly behaved animals to leave.

I just got back from a trip to Colorado while visiting I went to Estes park there where dogs everywhere. It seems almost every other person had their dog with them. I don't see that here in Kansas much but up in Colorado it seems to be normal. I used leashes with my children not to keep them under control but to make sure no one could just grab them or walk away with them. I think with the chickens I would be more worried about germs they could pick up from other birds that have been in the store or in the store. I don't take my dogs to public places to many things out of my control.

Quote:
not entirely true. Under Federal Law, a service animal can ONLY be a dog. Plus, must be trained to do at least 2 tasks to ease the person's disability. The only difference that Idaho allows is that they allow public access to dogs that are still in training.
Most businesses err on the side of caution and don't push the issue.

Actually if you read the whole thing the 'dog in training' IS protected too -as a training dog MUST be trained how to behave in public places.

The volunteers (puppy raisers) are NOT covered (that's what I was), the paid trainers are covered (
tongue.png
)- I had the copy highlighted and carries the thing around with me when I did puppy raising.

The horses that were covered in the past are grandfathered in and also a particular set of monkeys for paraplegics are fully covered but must wear a diaper.

I like that compassion/companion animals are CLEARLY no longer covered.

@Rachy
I know right! Those heatenous beasts! Today I had a wrestle with them!
I did trip over one of my LF hens when I fed them this morning though.
tongue.png
Er if y'all wanna talk about dogs you can go to the "other animals" section or "random ramblings".

Anyways I see no harm done if a mod wishes to shut this thread down. I would do it if I could. -.-

Quote:
They don't apoligize for not watching their children either. Dog crap is bad, but once I was in a parking lot and stepped out of my car right onto a nice juicy well filled disposable baby diaper. Had on my good shoes, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom