When did chickens become exotic pets?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Moochie, Sep 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    For everyone who saw my thread about the Petsmart complaint, I got a reply email from some lady at the Petsmart HQ.

"Dear Cara,
    Thank you for your recent email to us at Petsmart. I know you are concerned about our policy on bringing certain (exotic) pets into our stores, however this is our recent policy."

I'll just put that, the rest is the number to her. Now uhh? It seems that Petsmart isn't educated at all.. Kind of funny actually. If they really are exotic... I guess I have something to brag about to my friends. [​IMG] Chickens are domesticated animals though.
    Hey I know! Next time I go to Petsmart and I bring a chicken and they tell me to get out, I will take a long time looking at every aisle. I never wander to the cat aisles anyways, I am curious to look at things. Maybe I should grab a dog food bag and read the ingredients. That should take awhile.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Take a silky. They will not know that it is a chicken.

3. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Oh looky looky.
    "Unlike cats and dogs, exotic animals have not been domesticated and remain wild. Even if they are bred for the pet trade and raised by humans, they may be unpredictable, largely untrainable, and in some cases, dangerous, especially as full-grown adults."
    I'll just write this down on a note card next time I visit Petsmart. [​IMG]

4. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Quote:I took my roo to a hardware store and someone thought he was a cat!

5. ILuvMyPetChickens

ILuvMyPetChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2011
    Leavittsburg, Ohio
    People mix up my silkie with a small dog all the time. I think it's funny.

6. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    Sourland that's a great idea!

I wasn't in on the previous thread, but I am acquainted with a gal here who breeds parrots. Biosecurity is religion for such folks. Plus there is the question of safety for you bird. You can certainly expect to see dogs there. Yes they are leashed, but I've frequently seen huge dogs barely under the control of their owners at Petsmart. Plus your bird might be exposed to disease there just like any other venue where strange birds from multiple sources are present.

I wouldn't take a pet bird of any kind, chicken or otherwise, into a pet store.

7. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    wood&feathers :

Sourland that's a great idea!

I wasn't in on the previous thread, but I am acquainted with a gal here who breeds parrots. Biosecurity is religion for such folks. Plus there is the question of safety for you bird. You can certainly expect to see dogs there. Yes they are leashed, but I've frequently seen huge dogs barely under the control of their owners at Petsmart. Plus your bird might be exposed to disease there just like any other venue where strange birds from multiple sources are present.

I wouldn't take a pet bird of any kind, chicken or otherwise, into a pet store.

I am aware of those things, when we took our OEGBs they were in a box in a shopping cart. And dogs and cats might be exposed to diseases (and bugs) from other dogs and cats in there.
    Not like I'd be taking a chicken in there everyday. I mainly want to prove to the thunderheads that not only dogs and cats should be allowed in Petsmart. Plus it's very rude for some employee to tell us to leave when we're browsing.​

8. BrynnRDH

BrynnRDH Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2011
    I saw someone with a goat on a leash in PetSmart! Only in Southern Oregon!

9. 9Catsz

9Catsz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2011
    Southeastern Missouri
    I wish they'd stop allowing ppl to bring their pets into the stores. I've seen dogs hike their legs on the end caps more than once and my 5 y/o niece stepped in a pile of dog crap.

While standing in line to pay I've been 'rear ended' many times by people's dogs and I don't appreciate it one bit. I tell the owners to get their dog's nose outta my behind and I ask them how they'd feel if I brought my anaconda or a ball python into the store with me and let therm 'play' with their rear ends. People actually don't believe they're in the wrong. Not one person apologized for not watching their dogs.

10. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

Quote:I took my roo to a hardware store and someone thought he was a cat!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by