When did chickens become exotic pets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to take my rats before I knew better about bio security for rats.

I'd take new rats if I got them from there as the Rat Mills that supply petsmart have all of the same germs.

My petsmart wouldn't bother me about rats, rabbits, dog, cats or chicken (all have been).

Quote:
My experiences at Petsmart differs greatly from yours apparently. While standing in line to pay I've been goosed many times by peoples dogs. I've also had them lick my legs or toes when I'm wearing shorts and/or sandals. While you may think these behaviors are cute when your dog is doing it to you, I'm not a dog person and I don't appreciate someone allowing their animal to do that to me. I've also witnessed dogs hike their legs on end caps and seen piles of crap in the floor.

I guess you also missed this post:

Quote:
I wish they would put a ban dogs in the stores. It's unsanitary and dangerous.

Its amazing the number of times random children have come up to me, thrown something near me, screamed loudly in a store, cried incessantly, etc. Not to mention the barfing, nose picking, burping, farting, peeing and pooping that goes on with those youngsters. Unsanitary and annoying. And dangerous if you consider what could happen to people tripping over stuff they've thrown around or even picking up germs from them.

I wish they would put a ban on kids in stores.

tongue2.gif

Quote:
My experiences at Petsmart differs greatly from yours apparently. While standing in line to pay I've been goosed many times by peoples dogs. I've also had them lick my legs or toes when I'm wearing shorts and/or sandals. While you may think these behaviors are cute when your dog is doing it to you, I'm not a dog person and I don't appreciate someone allowing their animal to do that to me. I've also witnessed dogs hike their legs on end caps and seen piles of crap in the floor.

I guess you also missed this post:

Quote:
I wish they would put a ban dogs in the stores. It's unsanitary and dangerous.

Sigh. My Malamutes are cleaner than a good portion of the people I see shopping. And they're better behaved too.

I'm just saying.
roll.png

Quote:
Are you serious? I'm LOLing my butt off at the "born in a petri dish at MIT." Where did you get this oh so helpful information? I'm sure all the bird breeders who worked their butts off breeding for color in the bird species would be happy to hear that all their hard work was "born in a petri dish at MIT."
clap.gif

When did chickens become exotic pets?....I'm thinking about the same time they became "pets". Most country vets never saw a chicken before then because farmers knew that chickens were cheap livestock and weren't worth a trip to the vet, were easily replaced and were easily culled for illnesses or injuries right at home. Keeping chickens used to be a practical, no nonsense endeavor and the strange idea of anyone actually wanting to take one to the store with them just never arose.
roll.png

My thoughts on pets in stores in general.
Dogs are in many cases stronger than their owners. They can get out of control and do damage. Not to mention the pee/poo issues that come up.
Cats well really cats would rather be laying in a sunny window or something else.
Many animals can become frightened by dogs or strange places and people. A frightened animal can be dangerous.
From my perspective I feel it is in the best interest of the animal not to expose them to such situations.

Quote:
So high and mighty there. "It's a PET store" so that must mean I can bring my 8' anaconda and allow it to sniff your butt? It's one of my pet snakes. Just sayin'... Not that I'd do that because I have too much respect for my snake and I wouldn't want to stress it out by bringing it around a bunch of people and dogs. It is a 'PET store' after all.

You do realize that although the store may be called a PET store it is, in fact, a store where PEOPLE go to buy pet supplies and/or pets, not a store FOR pets. Big difference and I think you've gotten them confused.

Quote:
Nooooo, I just stood there and took it.....LOL I most certainly did say something to them. I asked them to control their dog. I also asked them if they'd like me to bring my anaconda in and let her muck with them. None of them apologized for not controlling their animal. They acted as if I was in the wrong.

Quote:
This would be perfect...but never gonna happen.

Quote:
Not exactly right there. A parakeet is still an exotic animal. Exotic has several meanings such as 'not a dog or a cat' and 'any animal not native to your area' and 'any unusual animal pet' which, to 90% of the population, is any living creature except a dog or a cat.

Quote:
I agree 100%! My son is terrified of strange dogs. My son just happens to be special needs', and nothing burns me up more than to see someone carting around a dog in a store that is not pet-related like Lowes. My son gets terrified! I've even seen someone with a dog in the grocery store. Really? REALLY? Come ON! My ire is also with the too "PC" employees and managers who don't adhere to the signs on the door that state "service animals only". Half the time you'll see the so-called managers oohing and ahhhing over the dogs more than anyone!
somad.gif

Quote:
X2

So far as the argument that it's great to expose dogs to the situation to make them a better pet, guard dog, whatever... and what happens if my child is bitten by your dog in training? My child is more important than any dog. My children are very well behaved in stores, but I have seen out of control kids in stores. Just the other day a little child "adopted" me in Walmart. She couldn't have been over 2 years old and didn't speak a word of english, and I had to lead her all over the store trying to find an employee to help me find her parents. They didn't come when called on the intercom with a description of the kid, and after 20 minutes the child herself led us to them: and they didn't seem to have noticed she was missing what with their other 6 kids running wild too.
roll.png
I could have had a new kid without the pregnancy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom