When did chickens become exotic pets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
did you know that if the employee asks and the person says "yes, this is a service dog" that the employee has no choice but to let them bring the dog in?

If the dog soils, barks, or acts out of control, then yes the business would be allowed to ask the person to leave. Most stores, though, are unsure of what steps they are allowed to take, in case of being sued.

And, yes, I think it would be perfectly ok to bring your snake to the store. As for the owners who think it's ok to let their dog nudge other people, well, I've had encounters with more than one. Usually they are letting their little ankle-biter roam around at the end of a 10ft lead. Then they get nasty that I shouldn't have my dog in public if he doesn't like other dogs. Actually, he likes them just fine. I, on the other hand, have been known to kick the little buggers back to their owners.

The people who bring their dogs to the pet store aren't the ones making the rules. It is a marketing ploy from the store. "PetCo. Where the pets go" is their slogan after all.

my dog has never bitten anyone. It's called "training" for a reason, because I am there to train him how to act. If he had an issue where I couldn't trust him to be around people, then he wouldn't be around people.

What WOULD be the purpose of bringing a dog into PETCO~or any store~ unless they are there to get groomed? I'm just curious.....
smile.png

PetCo has training classes. Trying on different styles of training collars to find which works best for a situation. Having an employee help fit a training collar (or even a regular collar). socialization. training for a service dog. training for a working prospect dog. adoption events.

just a few off the top of my heads.

for example, my kennel club has "public days" as often as possible. The county fair, local events, charities, etc we will put on a "meet the breeds" or "responsible pet owner" day. It's good for the dogs and it's good for the public to see that dogs can be trained and expected to have manners and behave appropriately. And so that maybe those people complained about earlier who think it's ok to let their dogs goose other shoppers will get a clue. Responsible dog owners hate those people even MORE than any of the other complainers. Thanks to thoughtless/clueless people like that it's more and more difficult to find places to work with your dog.

Take Europe, for example. Dogs are EVERYWHERE - cafes, bars, shops, markets. They are just a part of every day life. Of course, the greatest majority of the dogs are well-behaved and their owners are responsible.

ETA: the first number one and most important thing I want my dogs to learn is to ignore whatever else is going on and focus on me when we are out in public. We start off at home in the house. Then we move to outside. Then going for quiet walks around the neighborhood. Etc etc So the dogs aren't exposed to a store full of people before they know what behavior is expected of them

Last edited:
Well, everyone is making good points. I have a dog, peafowl, and chickens. I don't take my animals into stores. I have been sniffed and hate it. My sister also has a dog that thinks that it's life mission is to sniff the crotch/butt of every person it can. I hate these pets! I say if it is a vet, kennel, or such it is fine but no other stores. I shouldn't have to worry about your pet and there are just to many whom do not care. So, the true issue is not the pets but those people whom can not or do not or do not care.
idunno.gif

I personally think there is nothing wrong with bringing a dog into a store that does not sell people food, as long as YOU are in control not the dog (or other pet).

However, I am not scared of dogs, even when they bark at me.

I have personally brought my duck into petsmart with me before and the cashier lady didn't see him for a moment and then she did and was like,"Oh my goodness, what is that?!"
Then we didn't plan this, but the manger was there....... She didn't care, and was even facinated by his antics.

Several of the other customers were also loving him.

We brought him because we half wanted to see if they had any of those little shirts that would fit him.

Other times I have seen:

A guenia pig in someones hat.
A sphinx cat, that was NOT on a leash.
Several kittens that weren't even weaned yet, poor things.
Several COMPLETLY out of control dogs.
and a few service dog in training dogs.

Petsmart is not real clear on what kinds of pet are/aren't allowed

I think its fine to bring certain animals, properly restrained into a pet store or even a feed store.

However- I find it disgusting and repplusive when I see dogs and cats in any other type of store. I dont give a flip if *your* particular animal is good- MANY MORE ARENT. TOO many are peeing and pooping in the stores, and DNOT have good behavior. Not to mention the hair and dander they shed everywhere. I think they are just attention getters for people who have too much free time and want people to oooohhh and awwwww over them. I dont buy the 'socialization' thing either- thats what parks are for, and long walks on the beach or your neighborhood- NOT MY GROCERY STORE OR WALMART OR LOWES OR HOMEDEPOT. Ive seen them everywhere and it grosses me out. Do I want YOUR Fido sneezing on my tomatoes, or dropping fur/dander all over my new clothes?? Uh, NO.

And how about some respect for other peoples allergies?? My kids cant bring aerosol deodorant or perfume to school, but you should be able to bring your allergy causing animal into an enclosed public building? Not in my opinion. I think its rude and inconsiderate.

People often have old or cranky animals in their carts, and the next thing you know, they look away and a small child is snapped at for trying to pet the 'cute' doggie. YES, parents should watch their kids, BUT I SHOULD NOT even have to worry about my child being bitten or snapped at by an ANIMAL in a home improvement store! Thats ridiculous. And unfair.

My vote would be to keep any and all animals OUT of any public buildings or places of retail unless they specifically cater to such.

OH- Guidedogs are my exception- it still grosses me out to have a dog in a grocery store, but I see their value and worth and the NEED for them to be trained in such enviroments, so I am cool with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom