when did your rhode island reds and barred rocks start laying

I have a RIR and a Barred Rock also so Im interested in reading the responses. My RIR is only about 8 weeks and my BR is about 7 so I know it'll be a long wait for me but Im rooting for your gals!!
fl.gif

One of my BRs started at 18 weeks, the other at 20. The one who started about 2 weeks ago is already getting into a groove-- she's been giving us about 5 eggs a week in 110 degree weather!

One very early girl started at 17 weeks and 5 days. The next of my girls didn't start unil about 22 weeks. Now, at about 27 weeks I have 10 out of 11 laying (only 3 RIRs, but I got dominiques and black australorps who's laying schedules are all pretty close to the RIR and BRs.) The one chicken I have out of the bunch who isn't laying yet is an EE, and I've heard they are not early layers.

I'd say be prepared to open the next boxes at around 18 weeks, but don't be disappointed it you don't have any layers before about 22-24 weeks. It can be any time between 16 and 26 weeks for RIRs and BRs.

Funny you should ask - one of my barred rocks laid her first egg at exactly 19 weeks. And one of my RIR laid her first egg today, and 19 weeks 5 days. I have another BR and RIR that aren't laying yet.

I have 2 grown RIR hens that both laid at 20 wks. I have 2 pullets that are 16wks+3days. We shall see if they hold up their reputation. One of the pullets has 0,zip, nadda red , no wattles nothing. Don't think she will be laying anytime sooon.

I think my 18 week old RIR is getting very close! She's become especially vocal and affectionate and has been eating a lot more. A few weeks ago we made some predictions about who would lay first and on what date. The RIR was the underdog and I picked her to lay last, looks like might lose the bet!

Back
Top Bottom