When do chickens lay?

My RIR have been laying about 3 weeks now. This morning I was finally able to watch one lay. It took her 35 minutes. I have heard they don't like to lay if someone is watching, but she seemed uninterested in my curiosity. Very exciting stuff I believe! Good luck!

My RIR is about 24 wks old and has started to "squat." She squawked and ran to the coop, where I found her panting and situating the hay in her nesting box. She has been in the coop for 15 min now, and no egg. This will be her first egg. How long should it take a "first timer" before becoming concerned ?
Sometimes it can take quite awhile and sometimes all the fuss is for nothing and they jump out of the box and go about their normal business as usual.

my chickens usually lay in the morning and early in the evening, but they are red stars, im not sure about your hens, but i think most lay in the morning thru the evening.

Mine usually lay in the morning between 7:00 am and 11:00 but sometimes I get a lady that will lay at an off time in the afternoon. Whats funny too is that they wait in line for the same nest box.

I think it depends on the chicken because mine lay in the morning and at night.
D.gif
yippiechickie.gif
jumpy.gif

All of mine lay in the morning between eight and noon, with the exception of one leghorn. This is the leghorn that won't lay in the nesting boxes. She lays in the afternoon.

My RIR is about 24 wks old and has started to "squat." She squawked and ran to the coop, where I found her panting and situating the hay in her nesting box. She has been in the coop for 15 min now, and no egg. This will be her first egg. How long should it take a "first timer" before becoming concerned ?

How did this turn out? I had our first one act weird, and ended up finally laying her egg, in the nest box.

My gold sexlinks usually lay in the afternoon. They are very happy when I get the eggs out of the nest box-I always thank them for doing such a good job!!!!

Back
Top Bottom