When do Chickens separate from their chicks?

alaskachick

Songster
9 Years
Jun 13, 2010
Wasilla, Alaska
My Cukoo Maran roo and his harem have managed to hatch some chickies. They all live together with the rest of the chickens in the coop. I did not do any kind of special brooding box. The two hens that went broody are taking great care of the chicks. They chicks are out with the general population scratching up bugs and all. They are 2 weeks old now and I am wondering when the mothers will stop mothering them and let them find their out place in the flock? Any one know?

I have Buff Orpingtons and my first experience with a broody hen -- she left them at 3 weeks.
This spring.. I had four broody hens at once.. three of them have left the chicks (at 4-4 1/2 weeks) while the other is still mothering.. I don't know if there is any hard and fast rule.. or if weather plays a part.. it is HOT here.. 95+ daily.. so the chicks are doing fine.

Shelly

WE are one week away from HATCH DAY and I have my Dark Cornish (cornelia) sitting on 5 fertilized Americauna eggs. Hoping some of them will hatch... Cornelia has been very diligent about sitting on them. Have put a ramp from the raised coop down to the 'play area' and hope that will prevent any disastrous 'falls'. will be getting a baby chick feeder and waterer to put up in the raised coop. Am hoping the brooder, Cornelia, will do what is necessary to take care of her adopted babies. do I need to do anything else?? Getting nervous about the babies... if and when they come. Words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated!! [email protected]
does the 'mom' feed the babies at all??

Back
Top Bottom