When do chickens start laying eggs?

just a question i have a hen which has gone clucky she is in with a rooster and has been sitting on her eggs, to make them hatch do i just let her go and check them after 14 days or wait for her to have a full clutch 1st . this is a 1st for me and am a little confuzed ? she is also in with other chickens and they all lay in the same box how do i tell them apart ? Som 1 help plz

Welcome to BYC

Rather than just tagging onto the end of a very old thread, you should post your question in a new thread. You'll get more accurate responses.

most say 11am to 3 pm but my buff orpington today layed at around 6:30 pm they were 19 weeks and and two days so you can expect any egg annytime
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
frow.gif
clap.gif
lol.png
love.gif

I got 8 chicks in September, 4 Plymouth Rocks and 4 Buff Orphingtons.
They are about 4 months old. No eggs as yet from them. I noticed
that the Plymouth Rocks combs and wattles are beginning to grow and
are turning a bright red. At least two of them are. I assume those two
are about ready to start laying? The Buff Orphingtons seem to be
a bit behind, their combs and wattles are barely grown. Soo....I suspect
that will be probably another two months on them at least? Is that
the case with the Orphingtons, they are later to start laying?
Have been trying to come up with some laying nests. Since I am
70 years old and a widow, am not going to be able to make laying
nests out of wood, any suggestions on what to use for nests? Don't
want to put a lot of money into store bought nests......
Thanks for your thoughts......
frow.gif

We went out to check our "chicklets" and right out in the run, there is a small dark brown egg. Our chicklets are 14 weeks old. That seems pretty young though! Nevertheless, we were sooOo excited! We have 2 Buffs, 5 red stars and 2 yellow stars.

I have a chicken and he is 3 months old and he has a splayed led... When will he lay eggs and will the leg affect the eggs/chicks?

Hello, Confused here. I have 3Rhode Island, 2Naked Necks and 2Wellsummers and no eggs yet. I am getting different answers at feed store, etc about when to start layer feed and oyster shell? They are a little over 4 months and some 5 months as bought some already 6 weeks old so all would be getting along and same. I am first time with chicken pets. I REALLY WANT TO KNOW WHEN TO START SUPPLEMENTS SO THEY ARE HEALTHY EVEN THOUGH ANXIOUS FOR EGGS??

I ALSO WORRY AS NAKED NECKS SEEM TO PUSH RHODIES AROUND BUT NO PECKING OR FEATHER PULLING JUST BOSSY.

THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP.
CONFUSED IN OREGON

Hello, Confused here. I have 3Rhode Island, 2Naked Necks and 2Wellsummers and no eggs yet. I am getting different answers at feed store, etc about when to start layer feed and oyster shell? They are a little over 4 months and some 5 months as bought some already 6 weeks old so all would be getting along and same. I am first time with chicken pets. I REALLY WANT TO KNOW WHEN TO START SUPPLEMENTS SO THEY ARE HEALTHY EVEN THOUGH ANXIOUS FOR EGGS??

I ALSO WORRY AS NAKED NECKS SEEM TO PUSH RHODIES AROUND BUT NO PECKING OR FEATHER PULLING JUST BOSSY.

THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP.
CONFUSED IN OREGON
The layer feed and oyster shell are just for supplemental calcium. Brand new layers really don't need those right away, their bodies have a good supply to start with. So, don't stress over changing at the exact perfect day!
You also don't need layer feed and oyster shell, it's redundant. Personally, I feed all my birds an all-in-one type feed, and toss oyster shell in the run when I think of it. That way all my birds--different ages and genders---can eat the same feed and my layers can eat the oyster shell when they need extra calcium for their bodies.
They'll start laying around 6 months old, you're still a good month away for most of those girls. Look for larger, redder combs....those will be your first layers!

I have three girls with large red combs and they are squatting when you touch their backs. They are 21 weeks old I think. Are we at the any day now point or will it still be several weeks?

If they're already squatting then it should only be about a week longer, two at the most. Mine just laid her first egg this past saturday, about 8-10 days after her first squat. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom