When do chicks get wattles?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FRlEDeggs, Jul 16, 2010.

1. FRlEDeggs

FRlEDeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    ANOTHER question from this newbie [​IMG]

When do chicks get wattles? Currently, my almost 6 1/2 week old Cuckoo Marans and my Black Australorp have some smallish, gray-pink wattles. Does this mean boy? Thanks in advance [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  2. FRlEDeggs

Jun 6, 2010
    Anyone?

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Ducks waddle. Chickens get wattles as they approach sexual maturity. Needless to say, wattles will appear sooner and be more pronounced on cockerels than on pullets. Ameraucanas, EE and several other breeds do not develop significant wattles. Production type breeds tend to develop more significant wattles.

4. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    I was going to say when they spend too much time with a duck [​IMG]
    If your seeing wattles that young on those 2 breeds chances are you have a couple of roos

5. FRlEDeggs

Jun 6, 2010
    The thing is that their combs are small and yellow, and their waddles are a pinkish gray, not anywhere close to red.

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Sweetie, we are trying to tell you they they are NOT "waddles". They are called "wattles".

In your breeds it may indicate cockerals, but it's really too early to tell. Can you post some pics of them? That will help a bunch.

7. loverOFchickens

loverOFchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    BYCers speak in riddles don't they? Don't feel bad it has happened to me too.
    The wattles and combs will gain color as they grow. Different breeds (and batches) have different sizes at different stages. If one of the same breed has bigger ones than all the rest then chances are it is a roo.

1 person likes this.
  8. FRlEDeggs

Jun 6, 2010
    Man, my spelling STINKS. [​IMG] Thank you for the help!

9. Mother Therese

Mother Therese Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2013
    Did your chickens end up being hens or roos? Wondering because i'm having the same question about my 3 week olds

10. jocar123

jocar123 New Egg

Jun 10, 2014
    I dont have waffles showing on mine, ones a red and one is bar. They are flying. So I dont know if there still to young.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by