When do chicks get wattles?

FRlEDeggs

Songster
9 Years
Jun 6, 2010
ANOTHER question from this newbie
big_smile.png

When do chicks get wattles? Currently, my almost 6 1/2 week old Cuckoo Marans and my Black Australorp have some smallish, gray-pink wattles. Does this mean boy? Thanks in advance
tongue.png

Last edited:
Ducks waddle. Chickens get wattles as they approach sexual maturity. Needless to say, wattles will appear sooner and be more pronounced on cockerels than on pullets. Ameraucanas, EE and several other breeds do not develop significant wattles. Production type breeds tend to develop more significant wattles.

I was going to say when they spend too much time with a duck
big_smile.png

If your seeing wattles that young on those 2 breeds chances are you have a couple of roos

The thing is that their combs are small and yellow, and their waddles are a pinkish gray, not anywhere close to red.

Quote:
Sweetie, we are trying to tell you they they are NOT "waddles". They are called "wattles".

In your breeds it may indicate cockerals, but it's really too early to tell. Can you post some pics of them? That will help a bunch.

BYCers speak in riddles don't they? Don't feel bad it has happened to me too.
The wattles and combs will gain color as they grow. Different breeds (and batches) have different sizes at different stages. If one of the same breed has bigger ones than all the rest then chances are it is a roo.

Did your chickens end up being hens or roos? Wondering because i'm having the same question about my 3 week olds

I dont have waffles showing on mine, ones a red and one is bar. They are flying. So I dont know if there still to young.

Back
Top Bottom