When do Chicks Need a Roost

I found the grit at Tractor Supply or Valley Ag, so your local feed store should have it, I know you can find it online as well. I had a spare little chick feeder so I just put the grit in it, but any small dish would be fine. They instinctively know when they need grit. Its usually white (finely crushed granite) and the chick starter is brown. I just left it in a corner and they would eat a few pieces if they needed it. Here's a link to what I have used. (I'm not familiar with using sand, so I can't make a comment one way or the other on that).
http://www.purinamills.com/chicken-feed/products/chick-grit/
https://www.mannapro.com/products/poultry/chick-care/poultry-gritchick-grit
http://www.qcsupply.com/little-gian...productfeeds&gclid=CKuEgbPz9ckCFdgKgQodv9kFgA

Chicks grow very quickly, you will be surprised. Generally, the rule of thumb is to have 4sqft for each bird in the coop when fully grown, at least 1sqft of roosting space for each bird as well, and 10sqft. each of range space. Now this is just a generalization so... Some people have success with smaller spaces, but the more room you have the less potential for bad behavior to develop (feather picking, fighting, etc.). The bigger the better. If you need to split the chicks between the two brooders, you may want to make sure the two groups can see each other at least, this will help them be familiar with one another when you put them all into their final destination. This might help with integration problems. The only problem I foresee is you will have two groups and each group will have an established pecking order (yes, even young ones do this), then you will be trying to merge two groups.
If you have the coop built before they arrive, and these are your first batch, you may want to consider brooding in the coop itself. There are two articles from BYC members that have a great idea for brooding in the coop. I wish that I had seen this concept and used either one instead of hanging a lamp and worrying myself to death, but there's always next time
smile.png

@Blooie has an article here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/brooding-with-mama-heating-pad
@aart has an article here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/pseudo-brooder-heater-plate

How big is your coop going to be? Are you getting bantams or large fowl? Would love to see pictures of your brooders and the start of your coop.

Last edited:
Ok, that's simple enough regarding the grit. Regarding the brooders, I might just start them out in the smaller brooder, and then move them to the bigger brooder as they grow; the bigger brooder may be large enough for all of them until they're ready t go out in the coop. So I might just reserve the smaller brooder in case of emergency if they need the extra space. I was thinking about the pecking order stuff too and don't want to mess things up,

Regarding the coop and run, the coop is 8'X8'X7' high and all I need to do is paint the outside and interior, build the roosts, and fabricate stairs at the front door. The run will be 8'X24'X7' high - I haven't broke grown on the run yet but plan to today. Here's a few pictures before we put the roof and door on

:

I have found that they just play on a roost (or any structure) at first, prefering to sleep in a pile on the floor. Around 5 weeks or so, you'll see one or 2 up on the roost at bedtime, but they may not stay all night. After another 2 weeks they'll stay up at night.

I built two brooders because I ordered 24 chicks, and the first one is 5'X2 1/2'; as soon as I finished I thought it looked a little small for chicks at 3 weeks and older. So I built a second brooder that's 7'X3 1/2' so I can move all but probably 6-7 into the bigger brooder when they start outgrowing the first one. Between the two I'm looking at about 34-35 square feet of space so I think that'll work. I'd rather err on the side of too much room than too little. There's plenty of room in both for the extra stuff I plan to put in there now. I can't wait till they come in - I've been wanting chickens for a long time primarily for garden fertilizer but the eggs are a close second since my family eats a lot of eggs.
Both brooder would equal about 37sqft. For 24 chicks you would have about 1 1/2sqft per chick using both brooders. I you only use the largest one that is 24 1/2sqft or about 1sqft per chick. This will be awfully tight quarters if you only use one. Chicks will pile and you could possibly have suffocation issues. I can't stress how fast they grow, they will feather out quickly so you will really need to watch your temperatures and make sure they have cool areas to get away from the heat. IMO my biggest concern would be crowding.

Ok, that's simple enough regarding the grit. Regarding the brooders, I might just start them out in the smaller brooder, and then move them to the bigger brooder as they grow; the bigger brooder may be large enough for all of them until they're ready t go out in the coop. So I might just reserve the smaller brooder in case of emergency if they need the extra space. I was thinking about the pecking order stuff too and don't want to mess things up,

Regarding the coop and run, the coop is 8'X8'X7' high and all I need to do is paint the outside and interior, build the roosts, and fabricate stairs at the front door. The run will be 8'X24'X7' high - I haven't broke grown on the run yet but plan to today. Here's a few pictures before we put the roof and door on

:
First, I love having a walk-in coop and I think you will too! Your coop looks very nice.
Now, this is just my opinion, 8x8 is a nice size and your run it too, but as they grow, you may wish you have more room. If you are going to free range, that changes things a bit.
Personally I do think they need at least 4sqft in the coop (you have approx. 2.6sqft), your run is about 8sqft per bird. (assuming you have 24birds). Of course, this is just my opinion.
smile.png

I see you live in AZ. Though I am not really familiar with your weather, I am assuming it is mostly hot/dry (summer), cool in the winter. Your large walk in door if you could make that solid with the option of a screen door that can let air flow in would be great. Ventilation for 24 birds is going to be key. Big windows that open and let the air flow in and ventilation along the eaves also.

It all looks really nice. Again, it is my own opinion. My coop is 96sqft and my run is 204sqft and I only have 7 birds (they are large) and I would love to have MORE room for just them. The math on mine shows I could have 20 birds in the run at 10sqft each, but for me it would be too cramped.

Here's a good article on ventilation.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...-go-out-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop

Last edited:
I agree on the ventilation. I installed hardware cloth under my eaves rather than plywood to help but I think I'm going to add a screened window in the back above the hen hatch and a ventilation fan on a thermostat. I'm just above Phoenix in Maricopa County so it's a little cooler than the city in the summer but it still gets pretty hot. My biggest challenge will be keeping the hens cool. I talked to a lot of flock owners locally and got a lot of good ideas. I'm guessing my birds will probably stay out in the run at night during the summers, at least that's what I'd do if I were them, so I'm planning on putting a couple of roosts out there to keep them as happy as possible. It doesn't get that cold here in the winter, in fact this has been the coldest winter I remember since moving here in 2007 and the lowest temp might be down around 35-40 but it's only for a few hours before warming up to the 60's during the day. Most winters the night-time temps are in the high 40's-50's.I hope they at least go into the coop to lay their eggs though since I put so much work into it. If they don't I'm not going to be a happy camper.

I'm sure they will use the coop to lay eggs and most likely roost as well. I see that your nest boxes are on the side so that gives more floor space and you could even put roosts with poop boards on both sides. Just put some golf balls, plastic or ceramic eggs in the nests when they get older and they will get the idea. In case you want to know I found ceramic eggs at Tractor Supply since I would have had to buy golf balls anyway, I got "eggs" instead.

Your idea of putting ventilation under the eaves was smart (it's hard to see in the photos). And a fan is a good idea too. If you think they will be roosting outside at night, try to make your run as predator proof as you can. Not sure what lurks in the dark in AZ but you probably have owls, fox, coyote, racoon, etc. there too. It seems everything wants a chicken dinner
tongue.png

Roger that. Yeah I'm enclosing the run in 1/2" hardware cloth and burying it down 1' below the ground. That's what I'll be working on today. We have all manner of chicken threats here. The only one I haven't seen yet are the skunks but I know they're around. My goal is to keep the predators out but not chase them away since they do a great job of keeping the mice and ground squirrel populations down. Even the snakes are beneficial to have around so I don't bother them unless it's a rattler. My experience with the hardware cloth is it works the best. I haven't had much luck in keeping critters out when using poultry wire. Whip snakes pass right through it like it isn't even there, and coyotes can bite through it with ease. The hardware cloth seems to keep them at bay though. Unfortunately the hardware cloth accounts for about 30% of the cost of the run but I figure that's part of the cost of owning chickens. Since the birds will be my most productive backyard asset I don't mind doing whatever it takes to keep them safe.

Roger that. Yeah I'm enclosing the run in 1/2" hardware cloth and burying it down 1' below the ground. That's what I'll be working on today. We have all manner of chicken threats here. The only one I haven't seen yet are the skunks but I know they're around. My goal is to keep the predators out but not chase them away since they do a great job of keeping the mice and ground squirrel populations down. Even the snakes are beneficial to have around so I don't bother them unless it's a rattler. My experience with the hardware cloth is it works the best. I haven't had much luck in keeping critters out when using poultry wire. Whip snakes pass right through it like it isn't even there, and coyotes can bite through it with ease. The hardware cloth seems to keep them at bay though. Unfortunately the hardware cloth accounts for about 30% of the cost of the run but I figure that's part of the cost of owning chickens. Since the birds will be my most productive backyard asset I don't mind doing whatever it takes to keep them safe.

You are correct on all counts. Sounds like you have done a lot of planning.

I just put my first batch of babies out in the coop- so I'm new to this too but I can tell you what I've learned. I bought the grit from my feed store but you can also buy it online(mypetchicken, amazon) but if you have a chick starter feed it's suppose to have grit in it too(this according to some employees at our feed store). I sprinkled some on the ground because they peck around a lot but I've also read that you can put it in a bowl or mix it in their feed. Not sure how the tell the difference though... Even though people have already answered questions about the roosts, I'll add what I've experienced. So my babies didn't start roosting on top of their feed(ugh) and water(knocked it over daily:/) until they were about 3-4 weeks old. I put a branch in for them but they were scared and wouldn't go on it. If you have the room and can construct a sturdy one i suggest you add one because otherwise they will roost on their water and it is so annoying. I feel for ya waiting for them!! I couldn't wait another day when they finally came!! It is so exciting!! Wish you the best!!

I just put my first batch of babies out in the coop- so I'm new to this too but I can tell you what I've learned. I bought the grit from my feed store but you can also buy it online(mypetchicken, amazon) but if you have a chick starter feed it's suppose to have grit in it too(this according to some employees at our feed store). I sprinkled some on the ground because they peck around a lot but I've also read that you can put it in a bowl or mix it in their feed. Not sure how the tell the difference though... Even though people have already answered questions about the roosts, I'll add what I've experienced. So my babies didn't start roosting on top of their feed(ugh) and water(knocked it over daily:/) until they were about 3-4 weeks old. I put a branch in for them but they were scared and wouldn't go on it. If you have the room and can construct a sturdy one i suggest you add one because otherwise they will roost on their water and it is so annoying. I feel for ya waiting for them!! I couldn't wait another day when they finally came!! It is so exciting!! Wish you the best!!
Some good points @beb444
To be honest I have never seen a chick starter with grit in it. I would not be too happy about having that added, first of all if starter is the ONLY food you provide for them grit is not needed, second grit is heavy and it would decrease the amount of food I was purchasing so that would not make me happy at all - I can't imagine paying for 50lb of feed and having x amount be grit. Of course a lot of people do mix the grit with the food, but IMO putting it out in a separate container is best solution. They seem to know when they need it.

Oh yes, they will get on top of the water and feeder. They don't outgrow that either. If there is something they can climb or stand on they will be on it. I use water founts and they do get on top of those now and sometimes make a mess, founts need to be cleaned frequently. The feeder I hang, so it's not a problem.

It does feel like forever. But it's worth it.

Back
Top Bottom