when do chicks.......

mrbillwej

Songster
10 Years
May 9, 2013
.....start using the roost to sleep? My birds are still young, not sure exactly what the ages are, I'd guess 2 months or so. please see pic below. I noticed they are sleeping in a group on the floor. Thanks
bill-

I put a tiny roost into the bin with my week old chicks and they started using it on and off almost immediately. They're 2.5 weeks old now and will sleep in a chick raft on the floor, roosting on the roost and sometimes roosting on their feeder to sleep. I've not had adult chickens before, but I have seen a number of people posting that you may need to shoo the chickens into their coop at night for the first few weeks until they understand that's where they're supposed to go at night - that may be the issue more than the chickens not using the roost?

I think the recommendation is a roost just about 4 inches off the ground at first (2-3 weeks old) for them to get used to the idea. Also, I don't know if they'd sleep on a ramp? Is there a roost way up there?

Thank you Everyone, Kathryn, yes the roost is built in up high, I replaced the white refrigerator grill (see pic) with a plank of wood that I screwed some pieces of branch across for steps. I thought it was too high for them at this age and size. I will put a short roost in for them to practice on. thank you all again for the help.

thumbsup.gif

I just got my chicks last night they are between 12 and 21 days old. The 2 leghorns which are both 18 days, started roosting almost immediately on top of their feeder.They are already looking for a way out of the brooder. lol

Mine started really using the roost around 3wks, it was hilarious watching them learn to balance. They don't always sleep on the roost though. Everyday they go out for hours in an enclose small pen that I made, after I put them back into the brooder they all pass out on the brooder floor. Usually at night they roost.

Katie

Back
Top Bottom