When do cockerels start crowing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Pequena Bandada, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    Does it vary by breed? I'm not worried that my pullets are roos, but just wondering. I know people have said that some hens lay later than others, so I'm wondering if some roos start crowing later than others. Is there an average?

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    That really varies widely-not just by breed either.
    I have had some crow as early as about 2 months to as late as about 6 months.

3. hipeatall

hipeatall Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Quote:Based on my experience... I think it does depend on breed. My 12 week old Faverolles, Marans, Java, Olive Egger and Cochin boys are just now barely starting to find their voices... but my 8 week old Naked Neck boys have been crowing with gusto for 2 weeks. They really took me by surprise crowing so young!

4. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    One of our Buff Rocks started at 10 wks, the Barred Rock a couple days after, now at fifteen wks both Buffs and all three Barred are crowing. The Buff Cochin is the only one who isn't. I understand that it can take up to 2 yrs for him to mature. I think he is just dense.[​IMG]

5. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    maybe he is just lazy...everyone else is doing it so he doesn't have to![​IMG]

6. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Quote:My cochin didn't crow until he was almost a year old, long after he started doing the rooster thing to the hens.

The Japanese were almost 6 months old befor they crowed.

My buckeye cockrel is well over 10 wks and not showing a sign of crowing though he's being very protective of his flock of girls.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Earliest I've had was five DAYS old. Latest was 18 weeks old.

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Whenever they feel like it. [​IMG] I had 1 crow at 4 days old and another didn't start until 12 weeks old.

9. ekemily

ekemily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    My cuckoo marans just started crowing at 19 weeks. He has a very manly, low voice. I love it!

10. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I got home this afternoon and heard a frightening noise comming from the back yard. Looked out the kitchen window and my little 8 and 1/2 week old silver laced wyandotte roo was trying to crow! He was sitting in my big pot of herbs and he must have been really happy with himself because he just kept it up - sounded more like he was choking to death! I laughed and laughed; 8 and 1/2 wks.......little stinker.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by