1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When do drakes get their drake feather?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PearlTheDuck, Mar 2, 2017.

1. PearlTheDuck

PearlTheDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2016
    Texas
    I'm thinking about purchasing these two four/five month old magpie ducks, but the lady has no clue on the genders, they both don't have a drake feather in the pictures. If they were drakes would they have their drake feather by now?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  2. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Probably. But the best way to tell is by voice. They will definitely be quacking by now. Are they close by that you can visit? Also, before you get them, make sure you check out their living conditions and whatnot. You dont want to bring back bad diseases ;)

3. PearlTheDuck

PearlTheDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2016
    Texas

sadly it won't work out. They are 2 hours away and not willing to meet any closer. Before they said they can't meet I was going to ask for a video of them quacking because like you said, the best way to tell is by voice. I want magpies so bad, so hopefully when my feedstore gets their ducks in April they will have some :)

4. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    All of my drakes definetely had drake feathers by then, so they are most likely females. As Bills vs Beaks said, you don't want to get there and discover that they are neglected, especially if they're two hours away. Asking for a video would be a great idea :).

5. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    They should have some color,and should have voices,maybe not good voices but you should be sble to tell hen from drakes,and possibly a curl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by