When do drakes get their drake feather?

PearlTheDuck

Songster
5 Years
Oct 19, 2016
Texas
I'm thinking about purchasing these two four/five month old magpie ducks, but the lady has no clue on the genders, they both don't have a drake feather in the pictures. If they were drakes would they have their drake feather by now?

Last edited:
Probably. But the best way to tell is by voice. They will definitely be quacking by now. Are they close by that you can visit? Also, before you get them, make sure you check out their living conditions and whatnot. You dont want to bring back bad diseases ;)

Probably. But the best way to tell is by voice. They will definitely be quacking by now. Are they close by that you can visit? Also, before you get them, make sure you check out their living conditions and whatnot. You dont want to bring back bad diseases ;)

sadly it won't work out. They are 2 hours away and not willing to meet any closer. Before they said they can't meet I was going to ask for a video of them quacking because like you said, the best way to tell is by voice. I want magpies so bad, so hopefully when my feedstore gets their ducks in April they will have some :)

All of my drakes definetely had drake feathers by then, so they are most likely females. As Bills vs Beaks said, you don't want to get there and discover that they are neglected, especially if they're two hours away. Asking for a video would be a great idea :).

They should have some color,and should have voices,maybe not good voices but you should be sble to tell hen from drakes,and possibly a curl.

Back
Top Bottom