When do ducks start laying eggs??

K I'll tell mom that mabe she'll let me keep them over the winters if I do my chores really good

Domestic mallards have to be cared for all their lives.

If you want to see some ducks around, and you have a pond, I would suggest building duck nest boxes and planting a food plot for them. Then you can watch the wild ones and enjoy them, and they will be able to migrate.

Domestics are raised by people, and depend upon them for food, shelter, safety, water, all those things that people who care for animals do for them. They are bred by hatcheries and I believe they are marked as domestic, since wild mallards are (if I remember correctly) protected under a migratory bird law and only those with permits are allowed to keep them. People like wildlife rehabilitators are allowed to have them if they are injured, for example.

Wild mallards, though they look like the domestics, have not been handled and cared for by people, so they are much better at surviving without the help of people.

Thanks for the help it's almost my birthday so I'll ask my mom if I can just have normal ducks n keep them year round

The Duck Forum is full of experienced duck people who like to share about how to take care of ducks. We have some fun here, too, and love photo's and video's and funny duck stories.

I got my Silver Appleyards in April 2013 and have no eggs yet. Hoping to see something any day now as the days lengthen.

I have Silver Appleyards and I just got my first eggs today!

Got these ducks back in April 2013. So it took about 11 months to get my first eggs.

Back
Top Bottom