When Do Hatchery RIR and Barred Rocks Start Laying?

PluckyClucker99

Songster
8 Years
Mar 1, 2014
Wisconsin
I am wondering when my hatchery Rhode Island Reds and Barred Plymouth Rocks will start laying. Right now they are about 3 and a half months, wondering when I should start supplementing oyster shells and placing nest liners and golf balls/ ceramic eggs in the nesting boxes. Will they start laying around the same time, and will it be in a month, half a month, 2 months or more like 1 and a half months? I have read that 4 months is early, but not uncommon, and also 6 months is a little late for hatchery but also not uncommon. If it makes a difference, my rooster (the same age) has been crowing for a good 2, 3 weeks and is starting to grab onto their neck feathers and attempt to mount, but the ladies run in circles and shake him off. The wait is just killing me!
barnie.gif

My RIR and 2 barred rocks are 21 weeks tomorrow and still not laying. 1 br looks to be getting close but the other br and rir don't look close, I'd say probably another month for them at least! :/ I want eggs!!

Hi! So, when did your RIR's and Barred Rocks start laying, then? I have 3 BR and 2 RIR, all about 19 weeks old. One BR and one RIR still don't have their full comb and wattles, yet. The others all look like they are ready to lay, and we have heard some uncharacteristic squawking, but when we go look, there are no eggs. We are very anxious to be getting some eggs from these ladies!!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom