When do hens stop laying

Coldspringchicken

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 19, 2009
Cold Spring NY
I have 10 hens that are producing 8-10 eggs a day . they are 10 months old. When should i expect them to stop laying or slow down ? And when should i introduce new birds to the flock to continue with the same amount of production? These are our first chickens and whole family are into it.

I've heard of people having chickens that were about 15 years old and still laying but this isn't very common. Breed can have a lot to do with laying ability. I had some sussex x hens that layed consistently for 5 or 6 years they only stopped because the nieghbors dog got hold of them. If your girls are only 10 months old then with a little love and attention you can probably expect another few years out of them atleast. So good luck with your hens and may they lay you lots of yummy eggs.

I believe alot of things contribute to them slowing down or stopping. Mine are just over 5 months and my bantam buff cochin has gone broody no egg since Monday! The temp has dropped considerably hear in the last four days so I think that has slowed my eggs and the hours of daylight are a consideration of less eggs! If you give them light I hear they will lay all year...not sure if I want to let my girls rest or keep them laying!Some people get new chicks every two years to keep the flow of eggs going good! I am however bitten by the chicken bug! I plan to double or triple my flock soze next year!

Back
Top Bottom