WHEn do I stop thwe starter feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ange, Jun 16, 2009.

1. ange

ange Songster

Jun 15, 2009
    CORNING NY
    When do I stop using the starter feed fpr my 2 month old chicks and start with the hen food.

2. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Songster

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    I would guess about 4 months old. But mine stop the starter feed when they start going into the big coop which is usually about 2 months old.

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I feed starter till there about 5-6 weeks old then they go to a grower till they lay there first egg then they go on a layer/breeder

Chris

4. Castaway

Castaway In the Brooder

Jun 9, 2009
    California
    Quote:What's the difference between starter and grower feed?

5. ange

ange Songster

Jun 15, 2009
    CORNING NY
    Since mine are aboutr 6 weeks, chicks, maybe I will finish this bag of starter feed out, then after that buy some feed, before the layer feed. I would like to get them little by little used to the big coop with the hens, in about 2 or 3 weeks, what doyou think?

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio

Starter high protein can be medicated lower in fiber (starter is good to get the up and going)
    Grower lower protien not medicated high fiber (Grower is for promoting growth...

The starter I use is a medicated 28% protien 3.50 fat 4.00 fiber and a crumble
    The grower is 20% protien 3.50 fat 4.50 fiber and is a crumble
    Chris

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  7. Castaway

Castaway In the Brooder

Jun 9, 2009
    California
    Thanks Chris. My birds are 11 weeks and I'm still feeding them starter feed. I'll check the local feed store to see if they carry the grower.

8. cybercat

cybercat Songster

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn

Starter high protein can be medicated lower in fiber (starter is good to get the up and going)
    Grower lower protien not medicated high fiber (Grower is for promoting growth...

The starter I use is a medicated 28% protien 3.50 fat 4.00 fiber and a crumble
    The grower is 20% protien 3.50 fat 4.50 fiber and is a crumble
    Chris

Chris what brand are you using? Wish I could find those numbers here. Most grower around here is 16% which is not enough protien for the larger duel purpose breeds.

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    cybercat:
    Well I been useing buckeye but I am going to start using kalmbach feeds the pro.% is close to buckeye... I tryed it on a batch of around 25 chicks and I like what I see and the price is a little cheaper..I know the starter is a "turkey" starter but the meds. are the same as the chick starter and it is the high protein that I like...

For the starter I will use this (28%- 3% - 4%)

http://www.kalmbachfeeds.com/451450AB.html

Then for the grower I will use this (21% - 3% - 4%)

http://www.kalmbachfeeds.com/1044.html

Then for a layer/breeder is this (20% - 3% - 5%)

http://www.kalmbachfeeds.com/1020CR.html

Here is a little trick for you... [​IMG]
    Use a 16% protein all grain pigeon feed with corn in it for a "scratch grain"..

What brand feed are you useing now?
    Chris

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  10. cybercat

cybercat Songster

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Thanks for the link. We have nothing I know of right now close to that but still have more checking to do. I have 6 feed stors local one being a co-op and one TSC. Right now my chicks are on Burkmann feeds which seems to be good but I want to put them on a 20% grower when it is time and that is harder to find here. I will probably just switch them to TSC Dunmor forumula which is that with out meds.

When I was first checking it was chick season and most places were sold out when I was looking. I should have better luck now that things have calmed down a bit [​IMG] We will be free ranging so feed will be for winter mostly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: