When do peacocks mature fully

frow.gif
HI DOUG!!!!
Great to see you here
clap.gif

bow.gif

deerman wrote:
Yep, TV wild thing doesnt look like must % green very little. Ruth your is like Doug said a spalding, not a Java.

I'll tell you what, we can debate Wild Things genetics till the cows come home but in my not so unbiased opinion, for looks and personality he plays 2nd fiddle to no one! He's special and he knows it too.

Quote:
Oh he sure is a great looking bird for sure !!!!! Only thing for sure on his genetics is he is a spalding, only way to know for sure his % is to know his background. plus even top breeders get the math wrong sometime. When crossing 1/2, 3/4,7/8, 1/4 together some have a hard time with what % offspring will be, plus they can get throw back to either side.

TV, your "Wild Thing" sounds like my black shoulder. He too stood out from the get go. Here's some pics I just took - he's only 18 months old:

peacock1a-1.jpg

peacock1b-1.jpg

peacock1c.jpg

Same age as these guys:

peacock2a.jpg

peacock2b.jpg

peacock2c.jpg

So, if the above is a Spalding split white. I think I understand this next guy is an Opal.

peacock3a.jpg

peacock3b.jpg

Neither of the other two males are anywhere near as mature as the Blackshoulder (which I guess needs a name).

Here are the females if you guys can help identify color- and - any way of knowing whether not they are mature.

peahen1.jpg

peahen2.jpg

peahen3.jpg

I think I was told when they were very young that the third one is a purple.

All hatched 4th of July - year and half ago.

TV,
No one meant to offend you, as it sounds like that has happened. Just trying to offer advise and opinions. There are certain things to look for and certain things you dont want in them. By claiming 7/8, it usually shows a bird that can not hardly be distigusished from a pure, pretty much reguardless of pheno or genotype. If you got them and a pure in a pen together, you about couldnt tell them apart, heard of many breeders having that problem.
Both Doug and Deerman are highly seasoned pros at this, but no one meant any offense

Ruth, here's my opinions: black shoulder male, can't be very sure from those pics, looks like he may have some spalding blood also- crest is not fully fanned out and seems to show a slight hint of the scaling look on neck. Spalding male looks like a normal color, plus being split... Opal male also has some white feathers. These white feathers on wing tips and chin indicate either split white OR being pure pied.. these can look highly similar and sometimes the only way to tell is by breeding and see what sort of chicks they produce such as mating them to a White(split white if they only produce whites along more like these or pure Pied if all chicks turn out pied).

First hen is India Blue(looks pure). Second is silver pied, third is Purple.

Ruth
The opal male is also split white The first hen is a India Blue the next hen is a silver pied and the last hen ie a purple

Kevin
I not sure if you can without breeding them. A bird that is showing white is carring a white gene and they is no way to tell if he split pied without breeding. A bird that is split to pied and not white will show no white

Back
Top Bottom