When do peacocks mature fully

Wild Thing
39952_dsc02006.jpg

My 6 peafowl are only a year and half old but the males, especially my black shoulder, already have the start of beautiful trains.

bluepeacock2.jpg

bluepeacock.jpg

The Java's (I think he's a Java) doesn't have nearly the length of the blackshoulder but he's getting beautiful color.

greenpeacock-1.jpg

At least one of my peahens started laying at the end of last season when she had just turned one.

Mine all freerange and based on what I see from my freeranging chickens and ducks which start laying at 4 months old, they mature much faster freeranging so I'm hoping to get eggs and possibly fertile eggs this summer.

I have 2 peacocks and three peahens (All India blues). The peacocks started getting their trains at around 2. Each year the trains get a bit longer but the trains fall out after mating season.......around the end of summer. They start growing them back around November. Now (Feb) their trains are around 3 feet long. By spring they'll be around 4 feet or so. It's insanely beautiful to see them fan out and vibrate the trains. They let me walk up to them and stroke the feathers. It's funny to see them do this in a strong wind. The poor things just blow over. LOL:lol:

Last edited:
TV he is a nice bird but I don't think he 7/8 way to much blue. I sure the breeder that sold you him said he was 7/8 but there are a few breeder that don't know how to do percentage on spalding. Here is a couple of pictures the first male is only 50% and the second is 15/16 split white. Ruth yours is a spalding male split white note the white flight feathers and white throat patch he look to be around 50% maybe a little more

100_0358.jpg

100_0532.jpg

Guys , as you know Spaldings are VERY variable as far as phenotype goes. The so called 1/2 Spalding above looks more green except for the patterned wings than many higher percentage birds. As far as the blue look in the picture, it is mainly due to lighting. The day was cloudy and it was towards dusk and the shot was with natural light only. Under full sunlight or flash, his green and gold is just as intense as the birds above. The breeder he came from is a well known and respected breeder and UPA member. There are many birds out ther bred for phenotype vs. genotype that are virtually indistinguishable from pure GREENS tho the genetic percentage may be no higher than 3/4 yet I have seen 15/16 that don't look as GREEN as Wild Thing. Trying to judge a Spaldings GREEN genetic percentage from a picture or from looks in general is pretty much impossible.

Quote:
Thanks guys. Deerman you've been helpful ever since I got these as peachicks - helping me to identify my "variety pack" I bought. I couldn't remember what color you told me he would probably be but someone local that raises peacocks told me it was a Java if the crest (and I'm not sure if that's what you call it) was in a tight little circle and not fanned like the others - and that's what his is so that's why I thought it was a Java.

But you guys are the experts - I'm sort of learning as I go.

Now that they are all maturing, I need to post pics and let you all I.D. them for me - only thing I think I'm positive of is that I have three males and three females, each a different color.

Back
Top Bottom