When do predators & pests start?

tuhraycee

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 19, 2011
We've had chickens since March and have been lucky so far not to have any pest problems (that I know about). When will the problems begin? My girls don't lay eggs yet; will it start then? They're also out during the day, roaming. Are they at risk then also? (We don't have a stray dog problem - knock on wood...)

TIA!

There's no set "start" time for predators. It can happen at any point. If a fox is hungry and spots your chickens (and yes, they do hunt during the day as well), then they'll take that opportunity to try to swipe one. Same with any other predator. The price of free-ranging includes losing some, for most people. You have to weigh that against the benefits.

it all depends on your area...

what kind of predators are around.

i was lucky I didnt loose any in 2 years then whammo i lost 5 in 2 months.

if there is garbage that raccoon's can get into its easier to get garbage then what it is to get into a coop. I has a pregnant raccoon move into the area and theta when i lost the 5 was when the babies were born in the spring

When we got our first girls a few months ago, we had a fox or coyote on the edge of our property every day for a week. Before that, we had VERY sporadic spottings. We lost one rooster and one hen to a predator the first couple of days and nothing since (knock on wood). We do have them in a large run now, though.

I lost 5 before we saw the predator... turned out to be a scrawny fox.. and yes they do hunt during the day .. when they are hungry or have kits.. they will do just about anything including sneaking into a persons garage or coops what ever.. so far since my son ended that carnavors buffet I haven't lost any.. now I'm looking forward to Aug to the next swap-meet to see if I can replace my girls that I lost.. I really don't want to start over with chicks but I may have to...

whether you see them or not.. plan for them as if you've seen them and fortify their habitat as much as possible.. just because you don't see them doesn't mean their not there planning their next move...

good luck and have fun with your flockers..
jumpy.gif

)O(
Pink

Good info. And that's a good point that they will be more likely to get into garbage that is 'right there' - or at least be a warning sign.

I've been told that snakes will be much more likely or common when we have eggs around though. Is that accurate?

Quote:
Not necessarily. We saw a few black snakes around in the spring and summer here well before we had chickens. Dh has killed two black snakes in the yard this year. Normally we'd leave them alone, and since they eat rodents I wouldn't begrudge them an egg or two, but we have chicks being raised by their mamas, so we didn't want to take a chance of them getting the babies. Try to gather your eggs frequently throughout the day if possible and that should help.

Last July we had just got our chicks in the mail. They were 1 week old and a black snake ate 1. Than all was quiet until they were 3 months old. Dog broke into coop and was in there just killing chickens. Killed 12. All within 3 months. They can strike anytime any place. I learned the hardway. Always build for the possibility and be prepared. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom