When do roosters start to crow?

This is Hawkeye. He's a 24 week old EE cockerel. I had him with 6 other roosters, all the same age as him, RIR, Black Sexlink, Red Sexlink, Barred Rock, and a couple of mixes. All the others were fighting, chasing the hens, and crowing. Not Hawkeye. It was never my intention to have 7 roosters, so I got rid of 6 of them and kept Hawkeye. My question is, is he just a little slower to develop or is it possible that maybe he will never crow? I'm fine with it either way. Just curious if I can expect him to start crowing at some point.
Well, on his second morning as the only rooster in the coop, Hawkeye found his voice. He finally crowed. It's a pathetic sounding crow, but I imagine he will fine tune it with practice.

I know this is an old post. However, incase someone is wondering about BA's we have one that is 16 weeks old and not yet crowing. Sweetest thing, likes to be carried around and will get under our feet to be picked up when we are in the run.

Clearly there is a lot of natural variation here. My Black Australorp (shown above at 4.5 weeks, the one in the middle with reddish comb and waddles) first started crowing at barely 4 weeks, seemingly inspired by the coop door being opened, giving him the chance to over look his new kingdom, aka the chicken run. He also seems to try to mount hens, but not sure if he really knows what he is doing yet. I wonder if his early maturity means he'll make a good rooster, or an especially aggressive one? I will have 5 or 6 roos to choose from and I am only going to keep one - right now I am kind of hoping he'll be the one. His 4 week old crow is nothing like a full blown rooster crow, but unmistakable because of the cadence and his posture when he does it, stretching and arching his tiny little neck just like the big boys do.

Last edited:
My Rocky the rooster started crowing at 8 1/2 weeks. He only seems to try when we let them out into the run in the mornings. No other time. 3 tries and he is done. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom