When do roosters start to crow?

Pics

shy

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
Hi It has been such a long time since I have owned chickens. I was just a kid then. I finally got some chicks. I was hoping to just have pullets, but I did get some straight run. So there is definitely possibility that I got some roos. I am on a 2 acre lot and we can keep chickens as long as our neighbors are okay. I don't want to have to deal with that if I don't need to. So my question is, at what age will roos start crowing? It always seemed like it was right before they were full grown. But I keep seeing here and there posts of as early as 3 weeks. Is that really possible?

HI, My banty Mottled Cochin, Porcelain, Silver Sebright, and Millie all started crowing last week at around 6 weeks. It's pretty cute but I was hoping for not so many roos.

Mine usually starts around 3:00 am for some strange reason.
lol.png

Back to the question however - my experience has been whenever they feel the urge. My first rooster - a RIR began to crow (try to actually) at 8 weeks - and my latest mutt rooster (who we thought was a hen for 7 weeks and the girls of the flock daily flogged putting him in his place) who is now the best rooster I have ever had ( feeds the girls, brings them food in the nest box while laying....) did not crow until he was about 20 weeks old. Now he never stops.
roll.png

I think the variables of the flock make-up (are other roosters that are more mature around or are setting the how-to example for the young roo's on crowing), individual rooster personality (drive to be dominate, show rooster traits), etc, all seem in my opinion to determine the "when".

Bump.

I have some sort of Bantam roo that has been finally developing a spur for the past 2 weeks. It was born around April 1st. (No joke)
wink.png
So, mine is somewhere of 40 weeks old and it never crows, nor does it have a large comb. It's so tiny of a chicken, that it is pretty much at the bottom of the pecking order. If it weren't for it's sporty(ness) it would prolly be dead. It can fly up to a 5' high pirch and out run the mean ladys any time.
lol.png

Has anyone ever seen/hear of such a thing?

Big Boy first crowed at 7 weeks old
Lester crowed at 9 weeks
Still have not heard any crows from the other 3 boys
All of them are 11 weeks old right now.

I have about 5 or six roosters and some crow a lot, at odd hours..it's 1:30am and I can hear one of them now. And I have one that I have yet to see or hear crow. Do some roos just not crow? I know this guy is a roo..but he's not crowing even though most of the others are. He appears to be higher up on the pecking order than one of the crowing roos. Maybe he's just a guy with little or nothing to say??

Back
Top Bottom