When do Roosters start to crow?

What kind of chicken is it? We also have a silkie that we are hoping he is a she also. The breeder that we got our chickens from said that she has noticed hers start crowing at about 12 weeks old. Our silkies comb is getting very large and waddles have definitely started appearing. The silkie is also very dominant in the brooder. My husband is convinced that it is a roo, but I am keeping my fingers crossed that it isn't. Good luck!

Sometimes if 2 roosters are in together, one is more dominant so the other might not crow. I had that happen with my 2 that had had in with my girls. The less dominant one was even slower developing his comb and wattles and stuff.
idunno.gif

Ahh this is good to read, thank you for the informative post! I thought that one crowing earlier might coax it out in the other ones, but it seems like it's more likely to be the opposite! It's so hard waiting to find out how many are roos!

They should start crowing around 5-9 months of age.
Thank you, I have what I am sure is a silkie roo who is 4 months and I was starting to think I was wrong about it being a roo, but maybe it is too early yet. Also he is not a very dominant birds my older silkie ladies that I bought like to keep the younger silkies in their place.

I have 3 white silkie chicks that are about 7 weeks old. One has started to crow this morning. It's pretty funny because it is not coming out like the traditional "crow". I guess it is practicing or working on it like a Donkey does when it starts to Eee Onk. I have them in the house because they are babies and I think it will be too cold outside for them here in Md. Does that mean it is a rooster???? I do not know the sex of them.

My bantam Light Brahma cockerel crowed at 10 weeks. Pitiful! Scared himself to death and I burst out laughing. That little thing gave me the stink eye and stomped off. Loved it.

We have been waiting. 3 roo brothers?? 7 1/2 mo old and showing no sign of crowing at all. Also suspect we have a little Mottled Cochin Bantam roo on the horizon who is 4mo but may have to wait a bit longer to see. If it is, he shows no sign of wanting to crow either. All quiet on the home front!

My Buttercup roo started just before 6 weeks (about 3 wks. ago). He sounds more grown-up now, and not as much like me, and he just loves to hear himself yell. He likes it even more when I answer him. Hope to hear him crow on demand, so I say, "sing to me, my little man,"every time he does. I've only gotten him to respond once out of the blue, but if he initiates the session, he'll crow until I stop. He is so tiny because of both breed and age, it's comical. And he LOVES to torment the cat. I think she's crazy about him!

Back
Top Bottom