When do Roosters start to crow?

lswatson111304

Songster
10 Years
Sep 18, 2009
Milano, TX
Ok, so I have some chicks I bought early October. I have 2 of them that we said were roo from the beginning. 1 started to crow in November. The other still no crow. Is it different for each chicken? I'm sure it is, but even though my guy developed his red comb and wattles early on, I'm still hoping he ends up a she. LOL

I bought my chicks in June of last year they were just a few weeks old. My only rooster began crowing 2 months ago. But it might be different for ever roo

Sometimes if 2 roosters are in together, one is more dominant so the other might not crow. I had that happen with my 2 that had had in with my girls. The less dominant one was even slower developing his comb and wattles and stuff.
idunno.gif

I have two roosters, with 2 months age difference, the older one crow since I got him, a soft, nice crow...when the second rooster reached maturity, he became the alpha, louder and at all times, 11pm, 1am, 4am and 6am. The other hardly ever crows now...

I have full grown roos that I almost never hear crow, but I have had them trying to crow and sounding like an old squeaky brake when they were only 3 or 4 weeks old. Part of it is dependent on the breed.

Like FarmFrenzy said though, if you have more than one roo, one is dominant and will keep the other quiet and you will see his comb and wattle growth is slower too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom