When do Roosters start to crow?

They will crow. have no fear. I remember waiting on pins and needles to hear that beautiful sound. Now, some days, I really want them to shut their beaks.
smile.png
LOL

They will crow when they are ready to crow. For some, that's when they figure out how to do it, and I've had one crow at 3 weeks. I've also had a few that didn't crow, because I have several roosters and they weren't ready to announce they needed their butts kicked by the other roosters.
lol.png

But the median age is, as someone has already mentioned, 5 - 7 months of age.

After 6 months we started getting antsy, so I played a cd of roosters crowing for about 5 minutes 3 times a day for about 5 days, and it started crowing. Coincidence? Hrmmmm
lol.png

Have a related question though...said rooster had to be culled due to a tumor. Our next roo is coming up on 4 months old. Will his rooster characteristics be delayed after living so long under another rooster, or will it be as if there never was one there?

Also, if you have 2 mature roos, one dominant that crows and takes on all the mating duties, the other a freeloading submissive roo....if the dominant one dies, will the other eventually take over those duties? Reason I'm asking is because we have 3 roosters at different stages growing up, and we're really not sure which one we want to keep. If I wait too long to make the decision, and we choose one that wasn't the dominant one, will it come around after getting rid of the main one?

My Bantam Roo started crowing long before my Buff Orp roo. The Bantam roo rules the roost out here. He has more of the hens and will run the buff orp roo off. Hopefully my big Roo will take over.

I have learned that the submissive roo will take over the responsibilities. My alpha roo dethroned the last one to take his spot. I think if there is no other roo to argue with, the one left will surely take over watching the flock. My dethroned roo acts all big and bad until Leroy (Alpha) rounds the corner... It would seem they are always prepared to take over.
wink.png

Sometimes if 2 roosters are in together, one is more dominant so the other might not crow. I had that happen with my 2 that had had in with my girls. The less dominant one was even slower developing his comb and wattles and stuff.
idunno.gif

Same happened to me. He only started crowing when I separated the other roo. Now he crows like a champ, though. I didn't find out he was a boy until they got into a fight after almost 5 months of living together.

Back
Top Bottom