When do standard cochins start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CrazyForCochins927, Feb 18, 2011.

1. CrazyForCochins927

CrazyForCochins927 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2010
    Green Bay, Wisconsin
    I have 7 standard cochins, and I was wondering how old everyone's cochins were when they started laying? Mine are 22 weeks old. It is winter, so I know it may take a little longer, but I just wanted to compare.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. simpsoncj

simpsoncj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2009
    My blue cochin started laying around 24 weeks old.
    CJ

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    My Black Cochin was the last to start laying - around seven months. They're heavy-bodied like Brahmas and all their energy goes into accumulating body mass, then the plumbing catches up.

Warning - Cochins are wickedly broody-prone. Mine just went broody at only eight months.

4. txhomegrown

txhomegrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2010
    Como, TX
    Those are pretty birds. I have learned to love this breed. They are the friendliest chickens I have ever been around. I think mine are about 18 weeks old. I want to get more, but I have heard that they are not great egg producers and that the eggs are not all that big. How about your girls? Are they good layers? I want to sell enough eggs to pay for the feed if I can.

5. AddictingChickens

AddictingChickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2010
    westford, MA
    I have two and they have yet to lay - its Feb and they are 8 months old! They sit on other eggs but that is about it

6. CrazyForCochins927

Oct 31, 2010
    Green Bay, Wisconsin
    Quote:They haven't started laying yet. That is what I am hoping for [​IMG]

7. kennedyscochins

kennedyscochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    Mine started at 8 months!

1 person likes this.
  8. Casey76

Casey76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Alsace, France
    I have a friend who shows, and she doesn't like her cochins laying before a year old! (or at least to hold off laying until the year after they were hatched) so they can accumulate the correct body mass.

9. CrazyForCochins927

Oct 31, 2010
    Green Bay, Wisconsin
    How big do they usually get? Any pics of full-grown cochins?

10. NortonFarms

NortonFarms New Egg

Dec 12, 2014
    I see this is an old post but just wanted to give my input for someone who might be looking for an answer in the future. Mine started laying at 8 months almost to the day. This is beginning of December in Southeast Louisiana (these birds were hatched out in April). I had one mature hen that was already laying in there with them, not sure if that helped encourage production lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by