When do they molt and was does it look like?

dbounds10

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 15, 2011
Fort Worth, Tx
My girls are only 10 weeks old but I think I have gotten past the "baby chick" questions. Was not sure where to post this so sorry if I am in the wrong spot.

Will they molt before they start to lay? I have heard people talk about a juvinile molt but dont really know.

4 questions:

1. Anyone have info about molting they would like to share?
2. Any pictures of what it looks like?
3. How to I manage the molt
4. What tips do you have to get them through it as stress free as possible?

Thanks!

I suggest you read these two threads. The second one better addresses your questions but the first one has some good info.

Mississippi State describes molting
http://msucares.com/poultry/management/poultry_feathers.html

Kansas State feather loss
http://www.ksre.ksu.edu/library/lvstk2/mf2308.pdf

I don't treat mine any different when they are going through a juvenile molt. The grower feed has all the protein they need to replace the feathers and continue growing normally. Some people like to cram extra protein down them, but I prefer to let mine grow at a normal rate so their bodies can develop at a natural pace along with their internal organs and bones.

They will go through a juvenile molt as they feather in with their adult feathers. You will know, because you will start seeing feathers laying around the coop/yard. You don't need to do anything differently.

When they go into their first adult molt (usually between a year and 18 months old, although I've had some go through a minor molt at 9 months old) and successive molts each fall, it will look like a pillow exploded. I help them get through their molt by increasing protein during this time. This was my buttercup going through her molt last year, you can see her pin feathers:

SDC10879.jpg

SDC10881.jpg

Mine are about 10 weeks and it looks like a small pillow exploded around their area, LOL, but to look at them you would never know anything was going on. Now the big hens are a differant story, I have raked up wheelbarow loads of feathers before and a few had on bikinis for a while.LOL

Quote:
Thanks! My Australorps are 12 weeks old, and starting yesterday, their coop is full of feathers. They still look okay, but I was wondering if they had been fighting, even though they had almost no skirmishes in the brooder. Good to know they are just molting.

Thanks to the OP for asking the question so I didn't have to.

Back
Top Bottom