When do they start laying eggs? Ours are 16 weeks...

I think you've gotten good answers on the feed. As far as when they will start laying, if you want a definite answer, you'll have to ask the girls. They'll lay when they are ready. Some probably will start at 5-6 months, some will be later. None of them read the books; you'll find out when you start finding eggs. They are all different.

Mine have just started laying. My RIR laid the first egg at 19.5 weeks...then it took her 8 days to lay her 2nd egg....longest week of my life!!!

One of my Easter Eggers was the 2nd one to lay at 20.5 weeks. Then a Leghorn the next day. Yesterday I got 5 eggs for the first time (2 brown, 2 white, 1 green), so I guess a couple more have started laying (a Buff Orp and another Leghorn, I assume)
big_smile.png
All my pullets will be 22 weeks on Wednesday and half of them are laying.

well I can't answer you're question but I feel your pain. we got our first chickens this spring at Atwoods, and we are fairly breathless waiting for them to start laying. WE got them feb/march and I hope they start laying soon! mine are RIR and Wyandottes.

hmm.png

I agree that they will lay when they are good and ready and not a minute before. I have 6 pullets that are 20, 21 and 23 weeks and NO EGG IN SIGHT. My 23 week BO still has the palest pink comb and no wattles at all. And now with this heat...

Quote:
And I have read on here of Easter Eggers who took nearly a year to lay.

Just depends on the individual, as said.

I have read that about Easter Eggers too...that they can take longer to start laying. I got mine from Ideal (as Ameraucanas, of course) at the end of January, and my friend got hers from Ideal in December...both of ours are laying beautiful mint green and blue eggs
big_smile.png
Her eggs are getting HUGE...mine are still medium but getting bigger.

ellenofdappletree Said:

well I can't answer you're question but I feel your pain. we got our first chickens this spring at Atwoods, and we are fairly breathless waiting for them to start laying. WE got them feb/march and I hope they start laying soon! mine are RIR and Wyandottes.

Thanks for the help
big_smile.png
Im looking forward to our first egg!!
We bought ours from Atwoods too... I didnt know they had Wyandottes!!​

My RIR just started laying at about 19 weeks. Nothing from the 19 week old light brahma or the 17 week old brown leghorn yet. Everybody is on Layena crumbles now because it seems silly to go buy another 50 pounds of grower when they might start laying any day.

Our oldest two (Easter Eggers) hatched on February 15. I'm also waiting with bated breath. I hope they lay early like yours did. 20.5 weeks sounds great. 18.5 would be even better... like today!

Back
Top Bottom