1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When do Wyandottes generally start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BDF SL Wyandottes, Jul 6, 2011.

1. BDF SL Wyandottes

BDF SL Wyandottes New Egg

Jul 5, 2011
    My Golden and Silver Laced Wyandotte pullets are 14 weeks of age now and I was wondering if they are a early maturing breed and if they should start laying soon? Any information on the breed would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks

2. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Wyandottes are pretty good layers but don't mature much earlier than most other breeds. You should expect them to lay anywhere from 18 to 22 weeks. [​IMG] Good luck with your chickens! Oh, and [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Elphaba2140

Elphaba2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    Welcome to BYC. I am glad you came in with this question because I too have a young pullet and was wondering the same thing because I have never had a Wyandotte before. My silver girl will is about 18 weeks now and her comb is getting quite red now. It should be soon.

4. lauriej57

lauriej57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2010
    Southwest Michigan
    I have 2 silver laced wyandottes, that I got late spring of 2010. I purchased them from a private breeder, and hoped they would be laying by mid October, but they were 30 weeks old before they started laying. They may have been late due to the slowing of daylight hours, but they are excellent layers, and very nice hens.

5. BDF SL Wyandottes

BDF SL Wyandottes New Egg

Jul 5, 2011
    I got the first egg today! They are 18 weeks and 3 days old.

1 person likes this.
  6. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

HOORAY!!!

1 person likes this.
  7. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

mine are 16 weeks and counting. [​IMG]

8. LadiesMan017

LadiesMan017 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2011
    Mine just turned 16 weeks, this past Friday. Not long until she starts to lay!![​IMG]

9. Barnmaradotte

Barnmaradotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    eugene
    both of mine started a couple days before 22wks.

10. Chick15

Chick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    mine are 14 weeks and I think that one of mine squatted. it kinda stooped down and kinda spread her wings out a little bit- just holding them away from her body. Is that squatting or was she just trying to stop me picking her up. It sounds quite early, which is why it may be her just not wanting me to pick her up..... but im not sure as this is my first time with chickens, so i don't know what squatting looks like. little help?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by