When do you "call" coturnix eggs duds?

Shugercube

Songster
Apr 17, 2022
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
So, I did a bit of an experiment. (Eggsperiment? 😅🤣)

Got 2 dozen corturnix eggs that had been refrigerated. Initially was going to eat them all, but randomly I decided to set half and see what happened, unsure if they'd been cold too long or not.

Well. One had a crack that I had missed upon initial inspection, so I tossed that one.

I couldn't resist candling, and by day 3 (well really, 2.5 lol) 4 already had veining, one of which I could even see the teeny tiny fluttering of what I assume was a heart beating (video linked below if anyone's interested 😊). I was already pleasantly surprised with that, but then 2 days later I had 9 obviously viable eggs!

It's now day 8, and ten have clear veining and movement. The 11th one looks... empty? I can see the yolk, but there's no veining and no darker spots. Is it too soon to call it and toss it? Should I give it more time? I don't want an incubator eggsplosion, but also don't want to toss a potentially viable egg.

Coturnix egg candling day 3

Pic of earliest veining at 3 days:
CC8FADAB-2A92-4E35-9B6C-02AF2C2729A2.png

Editing to add a pic of the egg in question, compared to an obviously developing one.

Definite good egg:
6B25053E-D8C2-4E9E-A5EE-EDC611E4AFD5.png

Dud??? (Pretty sure lol)

C534043E-579D-4461-8381-781F98ACEBF6.jpeg

Last edited:
I've set and hatched refrigerated eggs before. Good luck!
Did it seem to affect the male:female ratio at all? I know temp doesn't "make" them one or the other. But have "heard" often that the male embryos don't survive in cold temps as well as the females. I am not trying to sway anything, but just curious if it will make much difference in the gender ratio at all 🤔

Back
Top Bottom